Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,545   Posts: 1,544,504   Online: 1160

View Poll Results: Do you use a glass or glassless negative carrier?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Glass

8 13.79%
  • Glassless

33 56.90%
  • Both

17 29.31%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    I had a Dursr M600 that was prone to Newton rings.

Now I use a Opemus II and, 'though it's a relativelly sort time neve had any problem with rings.

I can live with dust cleaning...

Jorge O

Shooter
    35mm
    Oop,s make it an Opemus III.

Is it possible to edit postings?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    when you're logged in you can click on "edit" in the upper right hand corner of your posts next to the quote button
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Large Format
    Jorge, Not that I find fault with your post, but rather to answer your question. The posts can be edited by the person entering the post. If you will notice in the upper right portion of the post window of your post there is an edit tab. By selecting that you will be able to edit your post.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    When I first acquired my LPL 7700 it came with a universal carrier with glass plates. I immediately started having problems with what turned out to be Newton's Rings. I replaced the glass with 35mm insets, no more problems.

Images
    I use glassless, even at 5x7. I have a tensioner for 5x7, but have never used it. 8x10 I use glass. This, too, can be done glassless with a tensioner, but I don't have 810 tensioner.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My old Saunders 670XL came with glassless carriers and my Omega DII also has glassless from 35mm to 4x5. I've used glass carriers in community darkrooms but didn't care for them much as they were always dirty and scratched. I've never had a problem with the glassless carriers.
    Brian McDowell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use glassless and like Losse Gravel have a tensioner for my 4 x 5 Zone VI. I do use it and it works very well.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It would be nice to have a glass carrier for my 4x5s just in case I need one someday. There are just so many drawbacks to using them: there are 6-surfaces to keep clean instead of two, negatives are subject to Newton rings unless the environment is very clean and very dry, I can literally throw my empty DII carriers on the shelf with no regard to damage, and I can, and have modified them (Oh Boy!)

Truly, dr bob.

"I've filed this thing three times and its still too big!"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have always used Omega D2 enalrgers and just got used to glassless. I am using a glass carrier for the vintage negatives I have been asked to print. They are very thin and will bow down in the glassless carrier.

I have never had a problem with sharpness over the entire negative for 4x5.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin