Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,938   Posts: 1,585,642   Online: 819

View Poll Results: Do you use a glass or glassless negative carrier?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Glass

8 13.79%
  • Glassless

33 56.90%
  • Both

17 29.31%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I tried my Durst M605 dichro head with and without the glass carriers. It works better with. I added a HEPA filter to the darkroom to control the dust. Before getting the HEPA filter dust was sometimes a problem during the winter.

Also have a Durst 606 condenser that can be used with or without a glass carrier. So far I've used this enlarger only to preflash and make contact sheets.
    Three degrees of separation from Kevin Bacon.

Images
    All glassless in my Beseler MCR-X; the Beseler Negaflat is a worthwhile investment for sheet film, even though I never had any real problem using the standard 4 x 5 carrier.

Konical

I use a glass carrier when printing with masks. Dust is a constant problem. I use a glassless "negatflat" for non-masked negative.

Shooter
    Large Format
    glass carrier for 6x6 & 35mm & 5x7. glassless for 4x5.
    sometimes i sandwich the 4x5 in 2 pieces of glass but it isn't my "official" carrier. haven't had any problems with dust or keeping things flat. ( knock wood) ..

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Glassless for all formats from 35mm through 5x7 (Omega D2 & E5). I do have a special glass carrier masked for 6x17cm which I have not used as I do not have a camera in this format. Although I might use it to make a panoramic from a 5x7 negative.

- Mike

Images
    Keeping an extra four surfaces free from dust? No thanks. It's glassless all the way for me
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I use glass when I'm doing neg composites but other than that i'm glassless. I always focus on the important part of my image then if theirs any random in and out of focus for the rest of the image I'm not bothered. the only time it's an issue if the neg pops during long exposure times. For that situation I'll use glass. Also I am in the habit of taping my negs flat to the carrier. Once I do create a neg glass composite. cleaned and sealed it never is taken apart so I only have to do it once. It's then filed in an envelope and stored in a wooden drawer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Glassless for both my 23C II and MXT 4x5 - already have multiple formats for each (35mm - 6x9 for the 23 and 35mm - 4x5 for the45).
    I have wondered if glass would help when attempting to print image at the end of a strip (have you ever noticed if you trim to close, that is the one you want to print? or is that just my dumb luck)
    Mike C

Rambles

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin