Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,712   Posts: 1,482,989   Online: 870

View Poll Results: Do you use a glass or glassless negative carrier?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Glass

8 13.79%
  • Glassless

33 56.90%
  • Both

17 29.31%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Glass or no glass and why? For those that go glassless, do you have problems with negative flatness? For those that have the glass, do you have problems with dust and other things on the glass?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use glassless for 35mm and glass for film larger 35mm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a glass carrier for my 23C but have glassless for my new-to-me omega 4x5 enlarger... I'll probably change over to glass if I find that I'm having trouble with flatness, but I don't print above 11x14's right now and my enlarging lens stops down to 45.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Both:
    Glass for 35mm to 6x4.5, glassless 6x6 and 6x9, glass again for 9x12, glassless for 4x5", glass again for 5x7"...

Confusing?

I have two enlargers: An Opemus I use for 35mm to 6x4.5 with glass holder.

For the Durst 138S I have glassless holders for 35mm, 6x6, 6x7, 6x9, and 4x5". All other sizes go in the glass holder, but a 150mm lens is really too long to print 35mm negs - especially when I have a smaller enlarger.

I have not seen any problems with flatness, even with 4x5" negatives and exposure times of several minutes ("Gymnopedie #1" by Eric Satie is my favorite timer for slow papers) at f:8
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

I've used both but perfer glassless, I never noticed any difference in print sharpness. trying to keep 6 surfaces dust free instead of 2 is a study in frustration for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use an hired LPL 5x4 enlarger which has glassless carriers in both 35 and 5x4. I have had no problems to date but only enlarging to 10x8 max at present
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I find glass to be preferable, allowing me to use a wider aperture, but Newton's rings even with anti-newton glass can be a problem.

Another interesting discovery is that a sheet of glass over negs and transparencies will improve sharpness very substantially on my flatbed scanner (Agfa Duoscan).
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have used both. My present enlarger (4550 XLG VCCE) has a glass carrier for 4X5 (the only neg size I enlarge).
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I use glass on anything bigger than 35mm. I makes a huge difference in edge to edge sharpness with some of the more flimsy negatives.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

My current enlarger came with a bunch of carriers. Mostly glassless but the 4x5 size came in both glassless and glass. I've masked the glass one for smaller sizes sometimes. To be honest with the smaller sizes I'm not sure I can tell the difference never tried the glassless 4x5 one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin