Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,935   Posts: 1,585,604   Online: 663

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

Cleaning neg carrier glass

I'm using an 8x10 enlarger for the first time. I cleaned the glass negative carrier with Windex and PEC lintless pads but it came out with smears and smudges, even after multiple cleanings.

I'm not sure if this is some old greasy stuff on the glass or some residue from the Windex.

What's the best way to clean glass?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just been cleaning a lot of glass, first I use warm washing powder, the biological variety for clothes, followed by a good rinse in warm water. Final clean is with "Screen wash" used for car windscreens, this always seems to leave no marks, and very clean glass.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Some things just can't be cleaned that way. I have a Fuji Finescan 5000 with a 13x18 piece of coated optical glass in it. Fuji recommended using a soft cotton cloth that had been laundered many times but dried without fabric softners. They use Zeiss lens cleaner with the cloth and said it's the best cleaner on the market in their opinion. I use this on lenses, scanner and the coated glass in my Durst glass carrier.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Most enlarger carrier glass isn't coated, and even coated glass will stand up to a good non abrasive washing. I would normally recommend Nilglas it's a UK trade product used for cleaning glass. It is excellent for cleaning optical glass and removed years of grime safely from a coated Dagor lens I bought 2 or 3 years ago.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I personally use Isopropyl Alcohol and lint free cloth to clean the negative glass carrier. i cleans good and leaves no "marks"

vesaL

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Since it is not coated, why not try simple vinegar diluted in distilled water wiped with newspaper or your lintless pads?
    Keith Ostertag
    keitho at strucktower dot com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just bought an old Federal enlarger that had not been used for years, the plastic power cord had melted to the enlarger lamp houseing, the glass for negative carrier was very dirty with a thick coating of grim. I soaked the glass overnight in bucket of warm water with couple of drops of dish soap, then just a rinse in distilled water.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks, folks. It's very useful to hear your hands-on experiences. I will try some variations on your suggestions. Isn't APUG great?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Just been cleaning a lot of glass, first I use warm washing powder,
    Ian
    Is this sodium carbonate?
    juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No, washing powder is just granulated soap & additives. I use it every 6 months to clean my dev tanks as well.

Ian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin