Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,223   Posts: 1,532,487   Online: 1079

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Durst 138s - Latico condensors

Hello all,

So I'm going about getting a Durst 138 enlarger into working order. Most of the bits and pieces are there, which is great, and other than being a bit dusty it looks fine.

I've got a bunch of the latico condensors, and have a question: What is the difference between the 240T and a 240R condensors? How come the 85 is not followed by either T or R? Something to do with the coating?

I mainly print 6x6 negs - am I correct in thinking that the 200 goes on top and the 130 on the bottom? And how important is the correct wattage bulb?

Last question (I promise!): what is the purpose of being able to move the bulb side-to-side and back-and-forth on the apparatus inside the head? Is it to avoid hotspots? Is the best bet to center it and leave it at that?

I'm looking forward to making some bigger prints, that's for sure!

Thanks for your help,

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    On the L1200 the T condensors have special coatings to improve optical quality. They are very expensive. I don't know about R. If there is no letter, then I guess there is no coating. I think that T coated were used on the point source L1200 for enlarging electron microscope images where the finest detail was required. i.e. best quality.

The lamp is moveable so that it can be centred over the condensers so that you get even illumination.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The T's are coated for use with point light sources, the R, H and "nameless" are not.

How the condensors should best be placed depends on your lens - the manual specifies different combinations for Rodagon, -componon and Componar lenses of the same focal length. If you have several condensors it pays to experiment a bit.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    on the lamp housing of my 138 there is a chart that shows the condenser placement. I have always followed that convention.

lee\c

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    That's on my condensor head too - it's the "Componon" list. The "Rodagon" list is slightly different, and it really does make a difference.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks all! So the 'T' condensors are coated. Great! Now if only I could dig up a point light source....

I followed the chart, and I've got componon lenses, so I suppose all is well. What would one do with a Nikon lens?

And what on earth is the foot pump for?

Again, cheers for the help.

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The foot pump is for raising and lowering the base plate. When you push the Petal down you can either raise or lower the board after releasing the large button/screw bellow the base board.

jan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The wattage isn't as critical as the size and finish of the bulb. The original bulb for that head is long discontinued and if you can find one it will run in the $75-100 range. I did some research and found a good alternative to be a PH/303 which runs around $15 form topbulb.com. I purchased a couple as a spare and so far have not had to use one. They work just great but are quite bright. Actually they are too bright for my printing so I use a variac to dim it. I run it at 80 volts and print at the aperture and time I like. You could also rig a dimmer for a household light to do the same thing.

Fantastic enlarger. The best IMO. I wouldn't part with mine and have used one for nearly 40 years.

Glennview was a good source for parts as is Jensen Optical. They were a good source for the optical coated glass for the carrier at a ??? reasonable price compared to Jensen.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    That's on my condensor head too - it's the "Componon" list. The "Rodagon" list is slightly different, and it really does make a difference.
    I've never noticed any significant differences between componons and rodagons of similar focal lengths when using the recommended condenser pairs. Would you mind posting the rodagon list?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dear Marco,

I have the whole manual in pdf, the Rodagon table is in it, but it is 3,5 Mb.
    If you want it, I can mail it to you.

Philippe
    "...If you can not stand the rustle of the leafs, then do not go in to the woods..."
    (freely translated quote by Guido Gezelle)

PS: English is only my third language, please do forgive me my sloppy grammar...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin