Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,159   Online: 773

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    hka
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ed,
    Thanks for the explanation that's a very interesting way to keep extremely contrast under control.
    I will give it a try and do some experiments the next few weeks as I have some days off.
    I had never heard about it before. This is a real eye opener for me.
    harry

Release, the best you can do...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's good to see so many 'flashers' about I was begining to think we were a dying breed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Flashing both raises the toe values and reduces the contrast of the print. Tim Rudman gives an excellent explanation of the process in his "Master Printing Course" book. It is important to find the time for the flash exposure. This usually involves making a test strip of just flash exposures and choosing the time just before the first visible density on the strip. There are a lot of variations, however, depending on the effect you need.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Yes Tims book expalins it very well. But the technique does require removing the negative from the carrier or having a second enlarger. Using a diffusion sheet under the lens doesn't and therefore makes the technique much simpler and a lot quicker to do.

CBG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rob champagne View Post
    ... But the technique does require removing the negative from the carrier or having a second enlarger ...
    Or having some other second light source on a timer, say, a dim and diffused ceiling mounted light that could flash a sheet or two sitting on the counter.

C

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Crone View Post
    It's good to see so many 'flashers' about I was begining to think we were a dying breed.
    and so it was when the alternative processes were replaced by chloride and bromide papers. But ask B&S and they will tell you it is growing everyday. I think alot of people don't flash because they don't understand it. I didn't so I didn't do it till I got a RH design flasher like Les Mcclain indicated and now it do it.
    "Capturing an image is only one step of the long chain of events to create a beautiful Photograph” See my updated website: mandersenphotography.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rob champagne View Post
    ...the technique does require removing
    the negative from the carrier
    I stop the lens way down, remove the negative
    strip with the carrier, lower the condensers, hit
    the timer button, then reinsert the carrier with
    negative. May not work with all enlargers.

I think I'll give the under the lens diffuser a go.
    It's what the paper sees not what we see.
    Same for film. Dan

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    well I just dug out my diffuser and checked. I used two layers of Lee diffusion filter. The specific one is Leelux 400. That is a full diffusion sheet which gives even lighting with no shadow pass through. Some diffsuion sheets will pass shadow(partial diffusion) which you don't want.
    Infact my durst modular 70 has inbuilt under the lens diffusion sheet which swings in like the red filter. I suspect there was one on my L1200 but it disappeared before I got it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin