Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,043   Posts: 1,610,682   Online: 1038

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Enlarging with Filters - Contrast Grades

I've enlarged with condenser heads, but the half-tep contrast differences were just too large. I would frequently need something in between to get what I needed.

Has anyone experimented with adding additional filters for more subtle discrimination between filter grades? If so, what did you observe?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is were you use other technique, like water bath development, two bath development, De Beeers/Dexktol-Selectol/D72-D52, flashing, etc.

Although these techniques are far more important fith fixed grade papers they are also useful for fine tuning with Variable Contrast papers. Don't forget Split grade printing as well.

Ian

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Have been playing with Ilford Bromophen recently. The instructions say it develops to completion after n minutes. But it seems to me that some extra development also puts some more contrast in the print and infact the print starts to block up if you leave it for too long. So depending on your developer and paper, print time is also one controlling factor for contrast control.
    Last edited by rob champagne; 07-03-2008 at 01:30 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rob, you could also add temperature, dilution etc.

With Chlorobromide papers you can alter the contrast by pushing and pulling a print, slight over exposure and under development will decrease the contrast, and increase the warmth, or as you suggest very slight under exposure and longer than normal development will icrease the contrast a fraction and produce colder, blacker tones.

This doesn't work particularly well with bromide papers, where underdevelopment gives poor/flat tones.

iaN

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    I'm hoping there will be more on this in the jacobson book which I have ordered. Thats why I wanted an older book written when more people were using these techniques.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Go to the Silverprint site & download Peter Goldfields, Goldfinger Craftbook.

Peter gave me a copy about 20 years ago, its extremely useful.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Poulsen View Post
    between filter grades?
    You indicate "filter grades" so I presume you are using multigrade paper. The so called "Split Grade" printing technique lets you get any intermediate grade. Its only limited by the precision of you timer.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    split grade - you expose for part of the time with one filter, then expose with another filter.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If this is consistently a problem, maybe pull your film a 1/2 to 1 stop, or cut film development time or dilution maybe 5%. If you're talking about a certain negative, they pretty much covered everything else. Maybe flashing would help.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Go to the Silverprint site & download Peter Goldfields, Goldfinger Craftbook.

Peter gave me a copy about 20 years ago, its extremely useful.

Ian
    Thanks, turns out I downloaded it sometime before but never got round to reading it and forgot I had it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin