Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,916   Posts: 1,584,715   Online: 814

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I assume you have discovered this article, but thought others may find it useful.

http://www.ktphotonics.co.uk/pdf/Bas...dePrinting.pdf

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Yes thats the Chris Woodhouse article I was referring to.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    It's not on the internet and not free, but read this book, the Variable Contrast Printing Manual by Steve Anchell. Very well done explanation and examples of split grade printing.

http://www.amazon.com/Variable-Contr.../dp/0240802594
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    funnili enough I have that book and just read the section on split printing. Nothing in there to add to what I already know so it does seem like a very simple technique. I will give it a go.

Thanks all...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rob champagne View Post
    funnili enough I have that book and just read the section on split printing. Nothing in there to add to what I already know so it does seem like a very simple technique. I will give it a go.

Thanks all...
    alright. that was easy.

Split contrast printing is easy in that it simplifies a number of variables and helps to quickly determine contrast grade and general exposure. However, because of that, I am able to think of and execute much more complicated printing sequences that I would have otherwise. This allows for fine tweaks which generate better prints. For example, after a regular test strip, I might decide to pre-flash the paper, do the base yellow exposure with three separate burns, then do the magenta exposure while dodging one area and then burning somewhere else. I would never have figured that out with straight-up printing. Of course, I would never have done that without an RH Designs Stopclock timer either. If you start split contrast printing, you will soon want one of them (or perhaps the F-Stop Timer). Being able to do more detailed (and tedious) printing sequences also makes me more appreciative of a well exposed and developed sheet of film.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not really to suggest anyone do it the way I do it (you know the 'old dog and new trick thing...'), but to demonstrate that the two-filter technique is very versatile. With the graph like the one shown, you can use the two filters and print with a CONTRAST and EXPOSURE mind set. http://www.largeformatphotography.in...light=ic-racer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can anyone tell me what the name of the Les McLean book is I want to get a copy and Chris Woodhouse's book also?

Thanks Rob for bringing up the topic, I'm going to give it a go for some of my negatives and who knows what else if I'm hooked.

Hope the old dog can learn some new tricks!

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jerold, I think I asked you before, loss of brain cells lately, but which model timer do you have?

Thanks,
    Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    I have an older RH stopclock timer which does 1/4 stop increments. But I don't print using fstop technique. In the short term you can use percentages instead of 1/nth stops. The following is a little chart of FStop print time factors.

Attachment 11437
    Last edited by rob champagne; 08-11-2008 at 04:04 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin