Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,877   Posts: 1,520,270   Online: 1131

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Images
    Curt,
    Les's book is Creative Black & White Photography. Chris Woodhouse and Ralph Lambrecht's book is Way Beyond Monochrome.
    Cheers,
    Geary

Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    Can anyone tell me what the name of the Les McLean book is I want to get a copy and Chris Woodhouse's book also?

Thanks Rob for bringing up the topic, I'm going to give it a go for some of my negatives and who knows what else if I'm hooked.

Hope the old dog can learn some new tricks!

Curt
    But your flag decal won't get you into Heaven any more. They're already overcrowded from your dirty little war.
    Now Jesus don't like killin' no matter what the reason's for, and your flag decal won't get you into Heaven any more. – John Prine

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you Geary I appreciate it.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Curt, there was a description of the variations of RH Timers by Richard Ross in this thread a few months ago - http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/5...h-designs.html

I have recently bough a Stopclock Pro after everybody at an APUG get together in the UK strongly recommended it - actualy everyone but Richard Ross - he is too nice a guy to push his own stuff

Actualy when I bought it I was a little sceptical about the benifits but having used it I have been won over and am very impressed.

With 2 seperate timer channels the Stopclock Pro was designed for split grade printing - one for Filter 0 and the other for Filter 5

Its also very user freindly and very intuative to use

The RH Designs web site is full of useful stuff about the products and he is a realy nice bloke if you want to contact him directly

Martin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rob I've read several posts on the web, some books too but seeing Les do it in person made it easier to absorb. The web and the books arent really as good at showing the subtle differences as you operate the controls.

I would respectfully suggest that you seek out one of Les's workshops. We have one in Dublin which you are welcome to attend. Heres a link to it;

http://www.fpworkshops.com/?p=32

Fintan

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Quote Originally Posted by Fintan View Post
    Rob I've read several posts on the web, some books too but seeing Les do it in person made it easier to absorb. The web and the books arent really as good at showing the subtle differences as you operate the controls.

I would respectfully suggest that you seek out one of Les's workshops. We have one in Dublin which you are welcome to attend. Heres a link to it;

http://www.fpworkshops.com/?p=32

Fintan
    I would respectfully suggest I will have the technique nailed before November.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm familiar with the basic technique but is there a site somewhere which pulls it all together including burning and doging using split grade techniques?
    If we could stick to this line of thought as Rob originally posed and not suggest pieces of information in books or a trip to Ireland then we, the one's who are interested in the technique, would be very happy. There must be a complete one stop place where the entire technique is presented.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry for posting about the workshop, I have read all thats to read on the web and I have some books. Seeing it on a workshop made it easier, thats all I'm saying.

Fintan

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Another slant on the techniques of split grade printing. This one seems to be using the cross hatch method which I tried and didn't like.

http://home.iprimus.com.au/powermax/...RINTING%20.pdf

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    this one is pretty basic

the best way to learn is by doing

http://www.nocommonground.com/Photo/split.aspx

Might I compliment everyone on this very informative discussion? I have recently returned to photography after a medical career, and I have found the split printing method the easiest so far to achieve a very presentable print with the miniumum of difficulties. The explications and descriptions here have certainly been suberb, and whilst not rising to the level of a workshop, have certainly made for the beginnings of a short text!

Les...I enjoy your articles immensely, and thank you so much for taking the time to share you experience and knowledge with us! On your web site you detail the making of the impressive print invovling the clouds and the ocean. To the relative beginners amongst us the dodging and burning plan looks intimidating, even with Richard's timer!

Ed

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin