Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,837   Posts: 1,582,452   Online: 680

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post
    Have you tried a timer dial? I used one for a day just to see what it was like, and thought it a better solution than a chart.

Progressive stop-interval test strips were a PITA, and I went back to using seconds.

For burns and dodges I either used the difference in seconds between stops tick marks or for very simple cases did the burn live, to burn 1.5 stops over 3.0 stops: set the timer to 4.5 stops; place the burning card; start the timer; remove the card when the timer had wound down to 3.0 stops.

http://www.darkroomautomation.com/support/grastops.pdf
    When I see a print that needs some corrections, I think f stops. I guess it's a carryover from camera practice. Sometimes I even make adjustments that way, but more often I change the time. It's pretty easy to convert in your head and at least get in the ball park. (A third of a stop is 25 percent more or 20 percent less; two-thirds is 60 percent more or 36 percent less.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Then I bought the RH Designs timer. (not intended as a plug) I discovered that this timer has a feature where after determining the two exposure times for the hard and soft exposures, the timer will compute the resultant grade.
    ?does it do that? How is it done and is it useful, you still have to determine the two exposure times?
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post
    Has anyone else used (or tried to use) one of these dials and have any comments?
    I made and used this dial before using the RHDesigns f/stop timer. I had no trouble seeing it in my darkroom.
    Attached Files
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin