Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,493   Posts: 1,571,397   Online: 1103

Shooter
    35mm

looking for a manual for beseler 67cs2 enlarger

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has a pdf copy of a manual for a Beseler 67CS2 enlarger. I picked one up on the classifieds here last winter and have been using it to print 35mm negatives and want to start printing some of my 6x6 medium format negatives. I understand I'll need a negative carrier for the medium format film and a different lens. It's currently got a 50mm Beseler lens in it, and I think it's the 39mm screw mount type. Would any 75mm or 80mm focal length screw mount lens work? Do I need a different lens board for the different lens or would it work with the one I've got now?
    Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Jono

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jono:

I have the original manual for my 30 year old 67C, but don't have a pdf version. Here, however, is a good source for Beseler manuals and other accessories:

http://stores.ebay.ca/KHB-Photografix

Otherwise, I'll help as best as I can.

You will need a longer lens. Anything between 75mm through 90mm will be helpful. Do you have a regular column, or a longer "XL" column? If the column is the shorter of the two, you may prefer the 75mm lens.

What is the exact name on your existing lens? If it says something like "Beseler Color Pro" it is probably quite good. If it says "Beselar"', you might find it a good idea to replace it as well. Those basic "kit" lenses are not the best.

If you are going to have two lenses, it can be a really good idea to get two of the same type. You are more likely to get consistent contrast between the two, and it is really handy if the aperture scales and other adjustments work the same way. Not a critical concern, but surely one of convenience.

I would certainly try to get a lens board for each lens. It is so much more convenient, and they tend to go quite cheaply on Ebay (I know, because I've bought a few, and check my "Beseler (not Topcon)" eBay search almost daily).

Be careful though - Beseler made (and still makes) the 67 series lensboards with more than one size hole, and in addition, with a pilot hole, for lenses that require a custom size. You need to be sure that you get the right size hole.

Three cautions:

1) although most modern lenses in these focal lengths have 39mm threads, not all of them do;
    2) as mentioned above, some of these lensboards either have unusual size holes, or have just a pilot hole, because they are designed to be drilled to fit custom sizes; and
    3) you will need an appropriately sized retaining ring to keep the lens mounted to the lensboard.

Good quality used 6 element (usually) enlarger lenses are readily available, and could potentially make a real difference to you.

Hope this helps.

Matt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have one of that model. Most 75 or 80mm lenses are also 39mm threaded and will work. In the color head, there are two different mixing boxes available - 35mm and 6x7. You need the 6x7 mixing box for medium format negatives, as well as a lens and carrier. It is possible to use the 6x7 mixing box for 35mm negatives, but you will lose some brightness. Using the 35mm box on a 6x6 negative will result in vignetting.
    Jonathan
    -----------------------------------------------

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the replies guys. I think that covers just about everything I was wondering about and then some.
    Jon- What exactly is the mixing box? And did all the 67 series enlargers have a color head? Sorry if that sounds like a stupid question, but I'm pretty knew to the whole enlarging thing.
    jono

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jono1515 View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys. I think that covers just about everything I was wondering about and then some.
    Jon- What exactly is the mixing box? And did all the 67 series enlargers have a color head? Sorry if that sounds like a stupid question, but I'm pretty knew to the whole enlarging thing.
    jono

I'm guessing yours is a color head? I'm not sure what the model numbers mean, but mine is the same and has a color head. I can't speak to the construction of the B&W head, but the color head has a single halogen bulb. The light goes through the mixing chamber - basically a foam and mirror lined enclosure with a diffuser at the bottom. The 35mm mixing box diffuser is sized so all the light goes through the area of the 35mm negative, which makes it brighter than the 6x7 mixing chamber - the same amount of light needs to cover more area. If you lift the part of the head up with the color filters, you can get to the light bulb and the mixing box.
    Jonathan
    -----------------------------------------------

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks Jon, I'll have a look at mine when I get home tomorrow night and see what the head looks like. I can't remember off the top of my head what is inside there. I've looked, but was never really sure what I was looking at. I know there's one bulb in there and the condenser lenses, and I think there's a filter holder inside there too.
    Thanks for the description though, I'm hoping I'll eventually actually know what everything on this enlarger is!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jono1515 View Post
    Thanks Jon, I'll have a look at mine when I get home tomorrow night and see what the head looks like. I can't remember off the top of my head what is inside there. I've looked, but was never really sure what I was looking at. I know there's one bulb in there and the condenser lenses, and I think there's a filter holder inside there too.
    Thanks for the description though, I'm hoping I'll eventually actually know what everything on this enlarger is!
    Sounds like you have a black and white condensor head, not a colour one.

In that case, there isn't a mixing chamber.

On my condensor head, the front panel lifts up to give you access to the bulb and condensors and filter holder and holder for heat absorbing glass (which is an accessory).

On the back of the panel you'll probably find a diagram showing where you need to position the condensors for the film formats you are using.

The following applies to the condensor head on my 67C, and may very well apply to yours as well.

There are two 4" condensors marked "A" and one 3" condensor marked "B". The "A" condensors stay in the slots marked "A", with the convex sides facing toward each other. When enlarging 35mm, you can either leave the condensors as is, or to shorten exposure times, insert the "B" condensor, with its flat side facing up.

You cannot use the "B" condensor with 120 film - you will get dark corners.

Hope this helps.

Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    Matt - thanks for the info. I'm pretty sure my enlarger doesn't have a diagram on the back of that panel so that's really good stuff to know.
    I think I'm going to cut out negative carriers for 120 film from cardboard rather than spend the $90 I've seen them listed for new and then spend more on a decent 75mm or 80mm lens. I might also get a replacement for the 50mm Beslar lens I've got right now too.
    Thanks for all the info guys, it seems whenever I try to research this enlarger all I find is info on Beseler's 23 series enlargers. This is all really good stuff to know that I haven't been able to find anywhere else. Thanks!
    Jono

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin