Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,832   Posts: 1,582,323   Online: 986

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've had a Saunders LPL 670XL for many years and used it exclusively for 35mm. Now that I shoot MF and LF, I've picked up an Omega D2. The Omega handles 4x5 work and the Saunders covers 35mm (which I now rarely shoot) and 6x6.

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A lot of good reasons already listed, I'll add mine though they are probably already covered.

I have two nearly identical Durst L184 Dichro enlargers. The reasons behind getting the second (I already had a Beseler 4x5 as a second which was replaced) were as follows:

1) it's a pain getting a negative in the glass carriers perfectly clean and free of Newtons, so once I have that set up right, I'd rather not remove it until I'm done. The problem is that sometimes you get stuck on a print, or need to walk away from a certain image/print for a day or so in order to get a fresh perspective. In the past that meant that I either had to remove the neg or not print at all for a few days. With 2 matched enlargers I can just move on and print on the second one.

2) backup, getting parts and repairs for many enlargers is not quick or easy now a days. Having a second enlarger means that I can continue to work, and meet deadlines even if one enlarger craps out on me.

3) Diptychs are far easier to do and match if you can do them side by side

4) while one test print is drying down or washing, I can start on a second negative.

5) BY getting a "matched" second enlarger all mixing boxes, lens boards, neg carriers, light bulbs, etc are interchageable between the two. Exposure times are the same and the "feel" of working the enlarger is the same because all the controls are in the same places.

6) in the event of a tornado my house now has far greater ballast
    Last edited by Early Riser; 07-22-2008 at 10:00 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Colour and Black and White.

Diffusion and Condensor.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have a DeVere 504 with dichroic head which I use for for 120 and 4x5 in b&w (and soon colour). I have a Durst 138s with condensor head for 4x5 and 5x7, in b&w. I find having the two means less messing around with setup. I also use the Durst for negatives which are better suited to the condensor head.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Others have listed all the reasons I can think of. I just added a second 4x5 enlarger for some of the reasons listed but have not had a chance to use it yet. It is a Beseler 45 MXT and I am not used to aligning it. My other is a Beseler 45 VXL.

I added a second because it was so cheap that I couldn't resist. I got the enlarger with a 45S Dichroic light source for under $400. It even came with Nikkor 50/80/135 mm lenses. I plan to set up the second for 6x7 format and the first for 4x5 which I use the most. The 4x5 is already set up for flashing. The light sources are redundant.

A couple of downsides of having two enlargers:
    • What about three?
    • Uses a lot of space
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Early Riser View Post

5) BY getting a "matched" second enlarger all mixing boxes, lens boards, neg carriers, light bulbs, etc are interchageable between the two. Exposure times are the same and the "feel" of working the enlarger is the same because all the controls are in the same places.
    Good point.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    All above reasons plus: less chance to drop lens when changing film format/lenses. Also, less need to change condensors/mixing chambers when change film format. It would be best if one could have 2 enlargers for every film format one use, 1 with diffuser, second with condensors, and then you can think about point light source, cold light, and other variations, so 10 to 15 enlargers would do
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dang, I wish this thread hadn't started as I'd just about sorted things out for my new darkroom. Zone VI for 6X17 negatives, Beseler 45V -XL with cold light head and Durst 1200 for everything else up to 4X5. The confusion comes from owning another Durst 1200 and only having room for 3 enlargers. So do I set up both the Durst 1200s and ditch the Beseler or go with my original plan? Bill Barber

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I went to a work shop with Jerry Ulesman back when he was doing all his combinations on enlargers and you need mulitple enlargers for that. Personally I find the space on my counter more valuable than the second enlarge which sits unused in the basement. I would need to have a much higher volume of work to need the other enlarger even though I work in the darkroom everyday.
    Dennis

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Why?

Because you can!

"Beer is proof that God wants us to be happy."

Benjamin Franklin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin