Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,561   Posts: 1,545,277   Online: 791

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Two Enlargers, reasons wanted

I'm building a DR and have the opportunity to place 2 of the same enlarger side by side. I'm looking for reasons why this would be useful. I have 1 example of a dual enlarger set up, i.e. results from Bruce Barnbaum, his cover page of Tone Poems ~ Book 2. http://www.barnbaum.com/tone2.html I discussed this with Bruce at his workshop.

Is there another compelling reason to have a 2nd enlarger? (besides parts, I'm the only one using the space) I guess I could set one for 35mm or 120mm diffuser box and the other for 4x5. I'm a non-pro, and do not have all the techniques understood..Masking etc? Do advanced techniques require a 2nd enlarger or make the process much easier?
    Robland - Seattle area

Insert "catch phrase" here...

Shooter
    Large Format
    I some times do dyptich and triptich prints that require two or three enlargers and easels. It can be done with one but it is more work. I also have several people who use the darkroom and have their favorite setup. For a single user a single enlarger is all you really need.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have two 4x5 enlargers setup in my darkroom. One is diffusion the other condenser.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My darkrooms have always had two enlargers since about the mid 70's, but like you suggest one for 35mm % 120 the other for large format work used to be a 5x4 enlarger, now it's a 10c8 enlarger. This is a very practical set-up, and I often use the 2nd enlarger for paper flashing.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am going to be setting up a darkroom in the next few months and have done a bit of hunting and gathering. Initially I may have three, a 5X7 Zone VI, a Durst 1200 and a Beseler 45V-XL. The Zone VI will probably stay, however as I get settled in one of the others may go if I find myself not using it. Shooting a variety of formats, I may find that three is the magic number. Bill Barber

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Colour and Black and White.

Diffusion and Condensor.

One enlarger set up for just flashing paper.

One set up with a dropped baseboard, for large prints, while the other is optimized for small prints.

A backup, in case the main unit goes wonky.

A chance to teach your friends/kids/significant other how to print while you are doing your own work.

Just some suggestions.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Two enlargers: one diffusion (color head) and one condenser. I would like to have a single enlarger with two heads (diffusion and condenser), but I have instead two enlargers. With the condenser I like to do more crude prints, while with the diffusion I like to work more refined (although only B&W).

Why two enlargers? Why two cameras? Why two films? …or more… Why RC and FB papers? Because they all have different “personalities”: from functionality to manipulation and results.

BTW, you won’t necessarily need to have both enlargers installed at the same time. One can always be stored in an accessible place, and picked up when needed. I doubt you’ll run both equally – I use the diffusion on a current base, while the condenser only occasionally (maybe because my negs. need more work…).
    Last edited by phenix; 07-22-2008 at 12:19 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    B&W is silver.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    When I had my permanent darkroom I used two enlargers, an omega d2 for the big stuff, and a leitz focomat for 35.
    If I had the room I would do it again.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    When I retired and started photography full time I was shooting 35mm. That grew to 6x7. I was about to buy a 35mm-6x7 enlarger when the seller of the 6x7 camera warned me that most likely I would go to 4x5, so I bought a 35mm-4x5 enlarger. While shooting 4x5 with an 8x10 friend I discovered a need for an 8x10 enlarger. The 8x10 cold light is now the light source for my 7x17 contact printer. I can't carry anything heavier. I can no longer afford a porter because I bought all this equipment. I may have arrived, but even I am not saying that because I have only been retired five years.
    John Powers

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I use three enlargers,
    Two condensors with exact setup lenses ect. so that I can work on two negs at a time, I like having the prints back to back when developing.
    the third enlarger is diffusion and I use it for portraits where smooth skin tone is important and also I flash with this enlarger.
    I find this the most practical and efficient setup for show printing if one has the room.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin