Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,520   Posts: 1,543,792   Online: 767

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    KPT
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Everyone! Thank you for your help with my issue!! I understand what you are saying now. If i could stretch the bellows a bit more it would be in foucs so the cone is the issue. THANK YOU EVERYONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Which make and model lens are you using?

KPT
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by rob champagne View Post
    Which make and model lens are you using?

Its Fujinon Ep 135. Im sure its the cheapest one you can get. I received the enlarger, 3 lenses, a beesler enlarger (35mm) and a box of chemicals for free from a Craigslist ad.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    I don't know that lens but 4x5 enlarging lenses are usually 150mm. A 135 is a wide angle which is usually used for bigger than normal enlargments or where you have limited ceiling height in the darkroom. A 135 lens requires less bellows extension than a 150 lens for the same size enlargement. Also most 4x5 enlarging lenses will be past their optimal limit doing a 5x7 as they are optimised for around a 6X enlargement factor with a working range of between 2X and 10X but it really depends on the lens as some are designed for much bigger enlargement and some are designed for duplicating at 1:1 ratio (process lenses).
    When you focus, if you can see the image start to come into focus but it never quite gets there, then it is probably limited bellows extension. But if you can go past the point of best focus without it actually becoming sharp, then it could be the lens.

KPT
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by rob champagne View Post
    I don't know that lens but 4x5 enlarging lenses are usually 150mm. A 135 is a wide angle which is usually used for bigger than normal enlargments or where you have limited ceiling height in the darkroom. A 135 lens requires less bellows extension than a 150 lens for the same size enlargement. Also most 4x5 enlarging lenses will be past their optimal limit doing a 5x7 as they are optimised for around a 6X enlargement factor with a working range of between 2X and 10X but it really depends on the lens as some are designed for much bigger enlargement and some are designed for duplicating at 1:1 ratio (process lenses).
    When you focus, if you can see the image start to come into focus but it never quite gets there, then it is probably limited bellows extension. But if you can go past the point of best focus without it actually becoming sharp, then it could be the lens.
    It is limited bellows extention. A fellow Apuger (Gaylons) is sending me a cone for the enlarger. Thanks for your reply!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The Fuji EP lens is a top level design (it may be a six element) only surpassed by the Fuji EX, which has multicoating for color printing. DON'T think it is not a quality lens! The 'P' stood for Professional IIRC.

-Fred

KPT
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Aspen View Post
    The Fuji EP lens is a top level design (it may be a six element) only surpassed by the Fuji EX, which has multicoating for color printing. DON'T think it is not a quality lens! The 'P' stood for Professional IIRC.

-Fred
    Fred, Thank you for the info on the lens. I though it was a bad lens due to the fact it was all free. I got 2 free, an 80 and 135 the 50 is a nikkor.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shiu View Post
    Yes, as you found out, you need the cone for
    the 135mm, or it won't focus close enough.
    You can look for a 2.5 inch cone ... Jon
    That still may not due. For 5x7s from 4x5 the longest
    cone and lens focal length likely will be needed. Dan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin