Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,642   Online: 792

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    KPT
    Shooter
    35mm RF

Enlarger focusing issues

Sorry for such a newbie question. I Have an old Omega D enlarger and attempted to make my first print from a 4x5 negative and cant seem to focus the image on 5x7 paper. Is this normal or am i just missing something? I cant seem to focus it on 8x10 paper either! I can only print 1/4 of the negative on 5x7 paper. The bellows move freely and the head is also not restricted but still i cant focus the negative unless im printing larger than 8x10. I have the condenser in top position as the enlarger requires and im using my 135 lens as required. Thank You.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Hi, make sure you are using a 2.5 inch or taller cone, instead of a flat board.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The older D's had fixed condensers in three sizes. Make sure your fixed condenser houses the 6 1/2" lenses.

KPT
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shiu View Post
    Hi, make sure you are using a 2.5 inch or taller cone, instead of a flat board.

Jon

Jon, Thanky you for your reoly. Im new to this and have no idea what a 2.5 inch cone is or a flat board. This is my first try at large format and with this enlarger.

KPT
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Jones View Post
    The older D's had fixed condensers in three sizes. Make sure your fixed condenser houses the 6 1/2" lenses.

Rick, Thank you for your reply. I im very sorry but i have no idea what you mean. The enlarger states variable condenser and says to put it in the #1 position-slot and thats where it is now.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Hi, the concept is: the farther the lens is away from the negative, the closer the image will focus. Therefore there are different mounting cones/boards for the lens to attach to the enlarger. So, is the mounting board that the 135mm lens attached to cone shaped or a flat one?

Jon

KPT
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Everyone, Im very sorry for not having knowledge on this subject and not understanding responces. Here are 2 shots of my enlarger. Also sorry to post digital images of the enlarger but i didnt want to wait to develop a roll and scan it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture 008.jpg   Picture 010.jpg  

KPT
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shiu View Post
    Hi, the concept is: the farther the lens is away from the negative, the closer the image will focus. Therefore there are different mounting cones/boards for the lens to attach to the enlarger. So, is the mounting board that the 135mm lens attached to cone shaped or a flat one?

Jon

Its flat. When i received the enlarger the person gave my 3 Fuji and Nikkor lenses and told all i have to do is use the 50 for 35mm, 80 for 120 and 135 lens for large format. I guess there was more i needed to know than he told me.

Images
    Hi,
    If you need a cone PM me. I'll send you one.
    Cheers,
    Geary
    But your flag decal won't get you into Heaven any more. They're already overcrowded from your dirty little war.
    Now Jesus don't like killin' no matter what the reason's for, and your flag decal won't get you into Heaven any more. – John Prine

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Yes, as you found out, you need the cone for the 135mm, or it won't focus close enough. You can look for a 2.5 inch cone on ebay if you do a search on "omega cone" or something like that. Or put a wtb (wanted to buy) ad here on the apug classifieds.

Jon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin