Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,714   Posts: 1,514,726   Online: 860

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used Freestyle with good results. It's been faster to get a package from Freestyle in California than to get a package from Vanbar in Melbourne, sometimes...shipping is high, but if you buy a lot it doesn't hurt so much.
    We definitely pay a premium for our geography.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    35mm
    Can shipping and distance really account for nearly $70 a box? I don't think so. If this were to be case then you'd expect Freestyle to have to charge a mark-up in the U.S. for the shipping from the U.K. and then a further mark-up to transport to NZ which added together should start to come close to the price charged in NZ by the local NZ supplier.

Normally each market charges what it believes the market will bear. So for a while we had "rip-off" Britain in the car market until enterprising people started to order left hand drives from Belgium and Germany and did the paperwork to get the car into the UK. That and the EU single market largely put paid to the rip-off but left to the local suppliers, in this case the car manufacturers and dealers themselves nothing would have happened.

The problem, I thnk is the market size and lack of competition preventing a big enough incentive to spawn a "grey market" to take away the business from the local suppliers.

If the market is fixed and small and the local suppliers don't believe they have competition and cannot increase the market by price reductions but believe that the customer base is fixed and the quantities sold will remain the same, due to these quantities being largely unresponsive to price then what you get is what you seem to have got in NZ.

It's only in the manufacturer's interest to try and exert pressure on suppliers if it believes that the suppliers have got it seriously wrong and that sales to suppliers could be increased considerably if they would drop their prices. Even then a drop in prices from local supplirs to customers might benefit Ilford sales to NZ suppliers but unless that drop in price increased local suppliers' profits then they have no incentive to do anything.

An analogy is that U.K. premier league football clubs have been and will continue to increase their seat prices for as long as they are purchased at their ever increasing prices. Only when they increase prices to the point of seriously reducing gate revenue and fan base will they know they have reached the limit and will then re-consider their position.

Sudden loss of revenue seriously concentrates minds but in the meantime leaves the customer who votes with his feet without the benefit of his beloved hobby, be it a pack of Ilford paper or a seat at Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd etc.

No wonder they call economics the dismal science. It's usually dismal for those on the receiving end of an imperfect( in the economist's sense of the word) market.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    My local store's website doesnt say if its fiber or rc, but its called MGIV 1M. If thats the one you mean, its about 69 dollars. I realy dont know if its fiber or RC.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    $ 107 Canadian

Shooter
    35mm
    I also use Freestyle. How is it that you and the sheep are able to walk upsidedown? Doesn't the blood rush to your head?
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Check your groundglass image - Enzed and Oz are actually on top!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin