Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,216   Posts: 1,532,126   Online: 1055

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Glow effect

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fingerprints or Vaseline on the rear element of the lens will do the trick.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Vibrating print easel?
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I sometimes play with single element home made lenses in large format and they get serious "glow" in areas of high contrast. In 35mm, I believe the LensBaby lenses are single element and show that feature now. I don't seem to have any decent images on my computer with the home made lenses but I've attached a test shot I did with my latest (not yet perfect) creation.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails spring flowers miniscus kentmere warm.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Maybe you should use a Leica lens.

Seriously, I've used women's nylons to good effect.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm View Post
    Maybe you should use a Leica lens.

Seriously, I've used women's nylons to good effect.
    Me too.

What? Oh... you print with them...

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Simple. Pull (expose more and develop less) and shoot in very good light. If you pull, you will need to print with higher grade.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The best "darkroom antiglow" I have got by using an anti-newton MF slide frame under the lens for 1/6th to 1/3rd of the total exposure time.

Totally different but at least as good is using a 180mm Voigtländer W.Z. enlarger lens, possibly the only enlarger lens designed to be soft. Great for 9x12cm to 5x5", a bit too long for MF and too short for 5x7". It was only made in 180mm. And it costs a lot more than a pack of 6x6cm AN glass slide frames...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    It reminds me a little of the Imagon images I made.
    This effect could be obtained by 2 lenses at least: the Imagon and the Mamiya RB 150SF.
    You will need to have a bit of contrasty light to make full use of it.
    Have to get back to that kind of photography again when I am in Holland again.

I read somewhere in the thread about the Lensbaby: I don't think it is suited for it with its curved field focus.

Peter

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sdivot View Post
    For a slightly diffused effect, I like to use a Hasselblad soft focus filter. Usually a #2 works well. Just hold it under the lens for as little or as much of the exposure as you want.
    It must be image appropriate of course, but on the right image it looks very nice.
    Try it you might like it.
    Steve
    I often like it very much, but diffusion is not glow. Glow has to do only with tonalities. Diffusion has to do with sharpness.

The article was full of inaccuracies. Just a few of them:

• There are no thick emulsion films available any more. None. Plus-X was never one of them anyway, at least not for the last 35 years or so.
    • I can make glowing prints from negatives shot with my Red Dot Artar, a very bright and contrasty lens, or my Dagor, which isn't even coated (but actually sharper than the Artar) or my large format Nikkor lens. The lens make virtually no difference at all.
    • Do not use a conventional developer, especially one with hydroquinone in it like D-76 or HC-110. These developers yield way too much contrast because of the extra kick from the hydroquinone. (D-23 is ok. It's basically D-76 without the hydroquinone. They're very different and he should not recommend them together.) Use either a soft working non-staining developer like 777 or Crawley's FX-2, or use Pyrocat HD, which is inherently self compensating. The idea is to compress the scale from the bottom up by increasing exposure while simultaneously limiting the highlights through less development.

Basically you want to expose more and develop less. I rate my 400TMax at 200, and put the deepest shadows on Zone IV. There are those who might say that I actually am therefore rating the film at 100. Could be, but I get beautiful prints easily.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    The best way I have found to get the glow in my prints is to expose generously as Mike Johnston says and use a developer that exhibits good microcontrast like Rodinal 1:50. Develop gently with not too much shaking the tank and develop just enough and no more. Keep those highlights in check and you will be able to print straight with a bare minimum of burning and dodging. Used in this way with a film like Tri-X or Neopan 400 and agitating minimally, the whites will take on a delicate glow with all values discernably separated.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin