Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,776   Posts: 1,516,703   Online: 1219

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'd third ( ;-) ) Way Beyond Monochrome. I bought it to second AA's trilogy, and to get me back to printing (last prints I did were 20 years ago) and it's a real wealth of information, well presented and very clear.
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The schafer book is like a readers digest version of the Ansel Trilogy. Many of the same examples and even big sections of text drawn right from the originals. Which makes sense since it was an attempt to finish the book Ansel started but was unable to finish giving a bit of everything in one book for the beginner who wasn't ready to tackle the full trilogy.

Another outstanding book on printing is "The elements of Black-and-white printing" by Carson Graves ISBN 0-240-51795-4 Very good information on both basic good techniques and advantage salvage techniques and contrast control. Also a good reference for those who like to mix their own chemistry with a number of formulas given in the back.
    Jason Hitesman
    My Photos: DunePhotos.Com
    My Blog: Never Mind the Sand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another vote for Way Beyond Monochrome.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Photo Lab Index
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Way Beyond Monochrome is a good book, but I'd recommend Bruce Barnbaum's 'The art of photography' as a book that places darkroom work within a greater photographic context.

It should be available from www.barnbaum.com

Tom

Shooter
    35mm RF
    thanks everyone, I´m waiting for the ansel adams pack and will see where I go from there

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thornton's book is great, but more as a fourth or fifth book to read mainly because you like reading photo books. The best photography book I've ever read (and I've read many many) is "The Art of Photography: An Approach to Personal Expression" by Bruce Barnbaum. He rocks. Coincidentally, he also takes many photos of rocks. The book addresses photography in general and has only a few sections on developing and printing, but it's just great. If you read it, keep in mind that his process (yes, I know he's not the only person to use compensating development) is best suited to formats where you can develop a single negative at a time (e.g. 4x5 or larger, as opposed to medium format or 35mm roll film). That being said, with two roll-film cameras or backs (one for high-contrast situations and one for low) you can apply his methods effectively to roll film. Also note, before you come back cursing me, that the book has almost no photos in it, it's more a textbook. It's a great one though. Happy reading.

Leo
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
    ... I'd recommend Bruce Barnbaum's 'The art of photography' ....
    Tom
    Tom, I didn't see your post. I'd like to shorten mine to, "I agree with Tom."
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Creative Elements by Eddie Ephraums is a superb book. I've been disappointed with certain recommendations finding that the photographs were very uninteresting and did nothing to inspire me.

Ephraums' book features superb printing and toning skills with in depth information how he came to arrive at that picture. Displaying the original negative and talking through his vision of the final print. A very inspirational book for someone learning the visualisation process of landscape photography.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Creative-Ele...2423961&sr=8-4

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Creative-Ele...2423961&sr=8-3

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'd also recommend John Blakemore's book.
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

"you get your mouth off of my finger" Les McLean

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin