Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,929   Posts: 1,556,839   Online: 830

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Photo Lab Index
    The Photo Lab Index is so riddled with errors it's fairly useless. Unfortunately most of these errors filtered down through many other US publications and and can still be found on websites like Silvergrain etc. Digitaltruth is far more accurate.

The latest Edition (3rd) of the Darkroom Cookbook would be a far more appropriate and accurate alternative to the old Lab Index.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gennari View Post
    ...Therefore my aim is to improve my printing (and exposure/film processing) technique...I would greatly appreciate any hints and directions on good books to help me improve...
    You may be at the point where working on your own and from books is not enough, I'd suggest considering a workshop with a good printer as well, I'm sure there must be such things available in your part of the world.

Shooter
    35mm
    A second vote for Creative Elements by Eddie Ephraums. Great insight into creative print making.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What about Les McLean's "Creative black & white photography"...
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lingham View Post
    A second vote for Creative Elements by Eddie Ephraums. Great insight into creative print making.
    +1 or is it two?
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I picked up the Ephraums book on the basis of some of the recommendations on this thread. Very cool book. Very practical from the perspective of seeing how Mr. Ephraums approached these twenty prints. Don't know how long it would take, or whether I'm even able, to develop his pre-visualization abilities, but the book has definitely gotten me to thinking more about it.
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    I most definitely don't recommend "Edge of Darkness", it's a very uninformative rambling book, one of the least helpful I've ever bought. I've not seen Tim's book but I'm sure it won't have the one sided bias that Thornton's book contains.
    Ian
    I just received the three Ansel books and Thornton´s, and I must say that I now fully agree with you . I believe the most frequent word in the book is also the shortest possible (I). And this rediculous obsession with sharpness... As if prettiness were the purpose of "fine-art".
    At least his chapter on developers was interesting (new) to me, but the rest... gosh... were it at least silence.

On the other hand, after skimming through Ansel´s Book 1 I´m looking forward to the other two.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin