Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,522   Posts: 1,543,801   Online: 754

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    ic-racer, thanks for the info and the link

The amount of knowledge that is available through APUG is just staggering

I had looked through the Rodenstock web-site several times but never found that page.

H. G. Hart – can you really spot a significant difference in the sharpness of Rodagon-N & Rodagon-G prints at 3 to 5 times enlargement (for me that’s 12x16 up to 20 x24) ?

Many thanks

Martin

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
    H. G. Hart – can you really spot a significant difference in the sharpness of Rodagon-N & Rodagon-G prints at 3 to 5 times enlargement (for me that’s 12x16 up to 20 x24) ?
    In my experience, yes, but let me describe the exact circumstances of my comparisons.

First, I have only compared these lenses in the 300 mm focal length. Second, I have only compared them at 3:1 and 8:1 magnifications. Third, I find these lenses sharpest at f/5.6-8. Any difference in sharpness seems to decrease proportionately with aperture regardless of whether the magnification is 3:1 or 8:1.

Anecdotally, the difference in sharpness between the two lenses was obvious at 3:1 with an aperture of f/5.6. The difference between the lenses was less significant at 8:1, but the Rodagon-G was sharper.

I suspect the Rodagon will quickly lose ground to the G as enlargement increases. I can't imagine that many photographers reach the optimum magnification of 20:1 with the 300 mm Rodagon-G. I suspect this lens was intended more for the graphics industry.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The Data sheet combined with H G Harts anecdotal evidence leads me to think I have bought the wrong lens for the task

I will have to invest in a Rodagon-N to get the best out of negs/prints with the sizes I can print - which realistically is a max magnification if X5 - a long way short of where a Rodagon G hits its stride

However, I will make do with what I have at the moment and put a Rodagon-N on my not inconsiderable "would like to have" list

Thanks for the help guys

Martin

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
    However, I will make do with what I have at the moment and put a Rodagon-N on my not inconsiderable "would like to have" list

Let us know your results if you ever have an opportunity to compare the two lenses.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by H. G. Hart View Post
    Let us know your results if you ever have an opportunity to compare the two lenses.
    No problem

Its a little questionable - comparing individual lenses - I am sure there is more variation unit to unit than we all care to admit.

However, I always like to do these sort of exercises - for my own benifit - have spent my hard earned money well or blown it chasing the unattainable

Martin

Shooter
    35mm
    I have 50 N & 80mm N which are better than 80 WA and 50 G up to 11X Then the G is better.Also have a 120mm WA "new" that I dont use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    While there is usually an optimum magnification, most modern lenses perform well over a wide range. Note that Schneider says its Componon-S is designed for magnifications of 2 to 20, a wide range. They mean it. The optimum will vary from lens to lens. If it is not listed, think of the design criteria. Lenses for smaller formats (50mm, 75mm) will be designed to produce good 8X10 or maybe 11X14 prints from 35mm or 6X6 negatives. 135 and 150mm lenses will have to work with this size of enlargement, too, but may be designed to work best with somewhat larger enlargements, maybe 16X20, from 4X5 negatves.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin