Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,957   Posts: 1,586,087   Online: 991

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

DIY neg carriers for 4x5 Beseler enlarger?

I've got the opportunity to buy a used Beseler 45 MX enlarger cheaply. It comes with good lenses, but only one negative carrier (4x5). I would need both 135 and 120 neg carriers (at least 6x6 or longer) and don't want to pay more for those than I would the enlarger -- which would be the case if I went through the used department at B&H.

I've been looking at some old threads and have found some references to making my own neg carriers out of mat board. Is this a decent long-term solution? Does the kind of mat board make a difference? Anything else I should consider?

Cheers.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    just a good 4ply board will do.

have you checked out ebay, as carriers go for far less than at b&H
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mooseontheloose View Post
    I've got the opportunity to buy a used Beseler 45 MX enlarger cheaply. It comes with good lenses, but only one negative carrier (4x5). I would need both 135 and 120 neg carriers (at least 6x6 or longer) and don't want to pay more for those than I would the enlarger -- which would be the case if I went through the used department at B&H.

I've been looking at some old threads and have found some references to making my own neg carriers out of mat board. Is this a decent long-term solution? Does the kind of mat board make a difference? Anything else I should consider?

Cheers.
    Hi,
    My experience is that they are not satisfactory as they do not really stay flat over time. Additionally, 4ply mat board is a considerably less burly than aluminum when you are faced with the task of clamping old curly film. If you wish to make them yourself and cannot cut aluminum sheet you might try a stiff plastic as a compromise. I have seen examples cut from thin black plastic that worked well. If the material is thicker than about 1.5 mm you probably want to bevel the edge of the opening you cut to minimize anomalies at the edge of the image. (can't hurt at any thickness) The biggest chore is not cutting the opening but rather duplicating the register system (the nubbins on the bottom that make sure the carrier/image is centered). Taping the film to the carrier eliminates the need for building film guide into your carrier design.
    Best.

Celac

Images
    Good Evening, Rachelle,

I regard mat board as a good, quick expedient. As I have mentioned in other threads, however, my first preference would be something a bit more substantial, such as 1/8" tempered Masonite. The aluminum mentioned above is a great choice, but Masonite can be handled with the simple woodworking tools most people have. Used Beseler carriers are also easily available on E-Bay at bargain prices.

Konical

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    3/16 gator works! I printed cibachrome commercially for years using carriers made of 3/16 gator board. 2 layers, The bottom layer is essentially a window (4x5 inches or so). The outer layer is another window that is taped to the first, and it contains the glass, holds it in place and such. Be sure to tape off all the edges so you don't get a bunch of gator bits in your glass sandwich.

Good luck,

Corey

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Beseler negative carriers go so cheaply on eBay that I would never consider trying to make one. The exception is the 4x5 glass carrier with anti-newton glass.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I have a 645 and a 6x9 Negative carrier for the Beseler 45 if you need them. Just let me know.

Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzy View Post
    Beseler negative carriers go so cheaply on eBay that I would never consider trying to make one. The exception is the 4x5 glass carrier with anti-newton glass.
    Buy 1 of these and make masks for every other negative size. I do it for 9x12, 6x12, etc. Works fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteymorange View Post
    Buy 1 of these and make masks for every other negative size. I do it for 9x12, 6x12, etc. Works fine.
    What did you make the masks out of and how did you make them? An Exacto knife and black construction paper, or did you think of something better?
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a 4x5 Beseler enlarger negative carrier for which the previous user had made a few smaller masks by cutting the new size out of a couple of piece of black mat board. I haven't tried to use any of these, yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin