Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,405   Online: 715

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

How often do you play in the dark?

So, how often do you enter the dark mystery place and bring out art ?
    And how many copies do you do and how many negatives do you use?

Me, I usually develop only during the weekends and my darkroom-period goes from September to April. I usually only photograph during the summer and develop during the winter.

I tries to develop each weekend and I only manage to use one negative per day (I don't have the strength to stand in the dark for a whole day) and I often develop three copies (one for me to put on the wall, one for the model and one in spare in case I will ever show my images in some fancy New York Art Gallery )

So, how often do you play?

/ Marcus

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Except to load 8x10 sheets of film into the Jobo drum, I don't play in the dark much. I get to play in relatively bright light (60W bug light) making platinum prints or carbon prints. I aim for one short night (5 hrs) and one long night (8 to 10 hrs) a week.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I checked my darkroom log and I have 105 entries for the last 24 months. So, 4.3 times per month on average. I usually wind up printing 1 to 3 different negatives in a session depending on how difficult they are to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not often enough. I like to be able to print once a week, but right now it isn't working out that way for me. *sigh* Hopefully in a few weeks my schedule might clear up a little bit and I can get down there.

As far as how many negatives I print in a session, it really depends on how difficult the negative is, and whether or not I've printed it before. Generally once I've settled on a printing scheme, I might make 5 finished prints of the same negative. One for me, one to drop, one to screw up in the bleaching/toning phase, one to get funny drying marks on, and one that just won't look right for whatever random reason.

I'd put a winky face there to indicate that I'm joking, but I just realized that I'm not really.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It comes and it goes. There's that work / family / life / passion balance to consider...

Sometimes I print several times per week, other times only once or twice per month. I have a very severe backlog of negatives to print, so I'm going to do a lot of printing and very little shooting this upcoming winter.

I usually take two rolls or a few sheets with me into the darkroom, and I just go with the flow. Some days are good, others are bad. On a good day I'll come out with seven or eight prints of different negatives, with about half ending up as keepers. On a bad day I get nothing after 4-5 hours. The important thing is to keep trying, I think, not only to be persistent, but it helps keeping the skill alive. Practice makes good, they say.

I'm currently simplifying my approach. Two films, one developer. Four papers, two paper developers. That's it. No more, maybe less. That should help me get into the darkroom more often and keep me from thinking about paper choice too much.

I also do my proofing with a scanner. I find that I end up studying each negative more carefully that way, and I end up choosing which negatives to print much wiser. But I may step away from that and do contact sheets again, just because it's so incredibly boring.

I'd say on average I probably spend eight hours per week in the darkroom.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not nearly enough. Other than processing some negatives a few times this summer I haven't been in the darkroom since before June.
    Normally I like to get down there about twice a week.
    Hopefully I'll be getting back to it real soon.

Jerry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used to get in the darkroom 2-3 times a week... how did a whole month pass? :o

Last time was the end of August... very productive - I got three finished prints.

Cheers,
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am playin in the dark today---I try to get in a few times a month. As far as printing numbers--it just depends. Like to day I am just printing a bunch of negs that i keep sayin "i need to print" I my go back later an give one or two some serious attention. I tend not to get in the darkroom too much in the summer---it's too hot around here. My tap water runs 78F in the summer and 62F in the winter. So I mostly play in the dark in the winter. I normally have tons of film to develop in fall, I have done 30+rolls and 25 sheets since it has cooled off.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    All depends on the weather. If its good weather then I'm out shooting 4x5, if its too windy then I'II do some printing.

I usually just pick the best 2 or 3 negatives and try to get the best out of them as possible.

In total I probably spend around 15-20hrs per week in the darkroom.

Time fly's bye when I'm in there!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I try for once a week in the winter, less in the summer. Just spent three hours there Saturday. Worked with three negatives, and have several prints each, some of which hit the circular file.
    I intend to selenium tone these, so I made several.
    Next time I'll be working on liquid emulsion on watercolor paper to see what I can do. This is a new thing for me.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!
    For all practical purposes, they've taken Kodak away.

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin