Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,909   Posts: 1,556,177   Online: 1036

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    That's great info - just 'large' this is exactly what I was looking for...the roll economy is nicer than individual sheets.

Practicality of storage is another question.

Thank you.

Very nice to get answers instead of ...

"Why bother?" answers typical of photo.net!

Murray
    Murray

DKT

try Luminos for graded mural paper.

http://www.luminos.com/

fwiw--they used to make fiber based murals in-house where I work -- we still have several rolls of paper left over ...at any rate, most of them are either the Kodak Mural paper--this was sorta of a single-mid type weight fiber paper with really good wet strength, for hand processing. There are also rolls of Ilfobrom and Kodabromide--as well as RC Multigrade III, and at least one of Kodabrome graded RC, which is only maybe a few yrs old, but would be discontinued now. FWIW, with the exception of the Multigrade, the others are all graded.

the paper sizes are usually in the 30-42,48 inch width range with a length of 100 feet. You may be able to find some 52 inch widths, but probably not in fiber....

*just checked the luminos site, and yes they do have 51 inch fiber. so there ya go--now you just need about 2-3 5x9 foot sinks....

hope this helps

KT

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Hello:

Big sink...

I'm thinking about "tube" developing using 'tubes' made of recycled 55 gallon plastic drums.

I haven't figured out how to seam two together leak free yet.

Murray
    Murray

Shooter
    Large Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

DKT

Aggie's got the right idea--it doesn't have to be that complicated. You just need alot of room that you can be messy in--slosh chemistry around etc. Some folks will dilute developers down more than normal and then sponge these on by hand in sections etc.

The place where i work has had at least 2 darkrooms over the years--our new one, is actually designed to make murals in--very long for horizontal projection with an alcove for a roller processor. We've only made maybe 3 mural sized prints in this though, since we send that work out now. We did these using a 20 inch roller transport processor and tiling strips of mural paper together. These were last-ditch, final hour efforts because of someone's (sigh) poor planning...needless to say those involved didn't enjoy that day at work...

The old darkroom was a monster as well--There were 2 5x9 foot sized kreonite sinks arranged in an L pattern with a fume hood above them. The sinks had standpipes & water panels and water recirculating jets built into the corners. You could fill them up with chemistry to process the paper, and then turn them into print washers, or use one for a water rinse prior to the fix.

They chewed up a good 25-30 gallons of chemistry for each sink, and disposal of the fix was problematic which is one of the main reasons they stopped making prints this large in-house. Plus it was a time-consuming PIA....

What they did was to build risers alongside the sinks, so you could walk back & forth to agitiate the print--at about knee height. They also had some home-made tubes that were big sections of PVC--and they swirled the paper around in these things to agitate. My boss tells me they pretty much sucked..I only made "large" prints in this old lab using trays that were in the 3x3 foot range. You can get trays up to 40 inches, or just under 40 but they cost quite a bit....

At any rate, it just depends on how much you plan on doing this. If it's just now & then, you can cobble almost any setup together--if it's more than that, you might want to consider paying a lab to do it....in almost every way, it's worth it (to me anyways).

Hope this helps--

KT

guess my employers would want me to say these are my opinions only.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Another good source I found (I think) was a Rubbermaid horse watering trough....economically priced, and has a space where plumbing can be hooked up for drainage...

They don't come with covers :O)

They also don't fit in my car.

If you live in the Big City, you probably don't have such a source nearby.

Murray
    Murray

Shooter
    Pinhole

mural, mural, on the wall

Long lost replies...

Yes, 1 meter wide by longer than any sheet size is very nicely 'mural'...not sure why they call ti that, other than perhaps 'wall-sized prints'.

Thanks, Ole, for the Maco lead.

I wonder what Donald Miller meant by "OOO"...is that three O's, like, really impressed, or three zeroes, like really NOT impressed :O)

Murray
    Murray

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    when you tried to delete a post in the old forum you it would not let you out if there was nothing there. So, you hit edit and delete everything and then put in some symbol (Aggie used .. and Don uses 000) that is all that is happening.

lee\c

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Murray@uptowngallery
    Hello:

I am going to build some horizontal cold head enlargers (6cmx9cm thru 4"x5" or 5"x7" and something larger to cover 8x10 and maybe larger 11"x14" because I have huge monochromatic lens that was made for 15"x21" film and I just want to do it.

1) Low budget

Murray
    BTW, just in case anyone is interested I have 5X7" Arista cold light head with the Variable Contrast light, I think it is called the V-64, that i will part with at a very reasonable price.

Anyone interested just contact me off the forum at sanking@clemson.edu.

Sandy King

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin