Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,813   Posts: 1,581,568   Online: 951

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

RC Paper -- Darkroom workflow question

I have been getting corner delamination on some RC contact sheets I made last month. Since I am planning to use RC paper for the prints in the near future, I thought I'd investigate why.

I use Ilford paper exclusively. I read in Ilford's RC paper fact sheet that Ilford does not recommend wet times longer than 15 minutes for their RC paper. Problem is, I use a college darkroom and usually do not do a wash until the end of the period, which is about two to three hours later. During that time, the prints sit in a holding tray with running water.

Is there a way around this relatively short wet time or I just have to put up with washing and drying the prints as they get out of the fixer?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Are you accidently bashing the corner of the paper? That will make it a lot more likely to delaminate. Don't miss out a good washing, the fixer left on the print will eat it away.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    No way around it as far as I know. I ususally print for 20-30 minutes and then wash. Repeat cycle. I don't have any major delamination issues, but every now and then I get a swollen corner.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Perhaps you could get a hold of a Kodak tray siphon and turn your holding tray into a washer. MGIV RC has pretty short wash times especially with rapid fixer.
    Steve O.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah, well unfortunately, that's the way it is. RC papers don't like extended wet times. The figures quoted by the manufacturer are conservative, but you still need to watch it. Banging the corners is a sure way to aggravate the problem, and it doesn't take much abuse for obvious damage to occur once the paper has been wet for a while.

How are you washing the prints? In a tray with agitation or a tray siphon? Most of the damage I've had to RC prints was due to a too vigorous water flow in the tray. Turn down the flow and it goes away.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Does Ilford actually list a max of 15 minutes? Seems very short to me. Use a slow developer. Plain double fix. Haven't you used most of that 15minutes up before the wash?

Shooter
    35mm
    In my experience you can get away with more than 15 minutes, but two or three hours in water is waaay too long for RC.

Shooter
    35mm
    Nick, the wet times are noted on page 3 (washing section) of the Ilford RC paper fact sheet: http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/...0200232336.pdf

The holding tank has very slow running water. We wash in a tumbler -- so that may be the problem. I will try hand washing instead and every hour.

Thanks for putting up with my newbie questions.

----Patrick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kycoo View Post
    We wash in a tumbler -- so that may be the problem. I will try hand washing instead and every hour.
    There's your answer. I'd bet money on it.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I do RC I 'wash as I go' one at a time in a tray with a Kodak siphon. I don't let the prints built up as when doing FB prints.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin