Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,290   Posts: 1,535,382   Online: 806

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Question about Colorstar 3000

I just purchased a used colorstar 3000 to replace a 2000. I am familiar with the 2000 but have no idea how to hook the 3000 to my enlarger so I can use it as a timer also. There is no recepticle for a plug in this unit. It has a recepticle for the sensor and another for a footswitch or other accessory the power cord and another large cord with 5 prongs on the end. It was used on a Super Chromega enlarger or so I was told. Where would or how would I plug into my LPL 6700 enlarger. It only has the power cord to the enlarger head and nothing else. I used the 2000 which has a recepticle for the power cord from the enlarger but this 3000 has none and that is a bit confusing to me. Do I need some other adapter or something in order to hook the enlarger into it? I purchased this unit for the extra features over the 2000 but if I can't use it to time the exposure then it is kind of a waste. Anyone have one of these units and can you tell me how your enlarger is hooked up to it.
    Thanks for any help since this is really driving me nuts.

hka
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Normally you have to plug the powercord of the enlargerlamp on top of the powercordconnector of the 3000.
    That means the AC powercord of the 3000 has a kind of dubbelfunction. Hope this helps.
    harry

Release, the best you can do...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are different generations of the 3000. Like HKA said it can go into the cord. It can go right into the back of the Colorstar main unit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

my colorstar 3000 experince

I bought one off the bay as new old stock from portugal, and had it mailed to me here in Canada.

I knew some power conversion and plug work would be required. I gambled that the volume of this item was small enough that its designer put a 120/240V transformer in its power supply, and I was right. I did a bit of soldering to move jumpers around, and put the two primary colis into parallel to suit my 120V supply voltage here.

The power cord on mine had a 4 conductor cable, which was fitted into a power in/load out plug of some European configuration. I carefuilly made note of which one condutor took power to the load side, and then 're-connectorized' it to a u- ground plug to suit my locale for power in, and a small tail of a wire to a u ground receptacle to provide power to the enlarger lamp.

Subesquent to this I fitted it to an Omega D dichroic supply. My Omega supply has a power loop to power up the timer, and then take the switched output of the timer back into the power supply box for the enlarger. The cable to the enlarger goes out on a 4 or 5 blade weird plug that runs the fan and front panel dial light at 120V all the time, as well as the main light at some low voltage level, swithced off and on accodring to what the timer circuit loop tells it to do.

Hope this tale gets you mind thinking of how you can get what you have working for your situation.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    35mm
    I see in the instruction manual that the power cord has a double outlet. On my power cord there is none. I openned the unit up and find that the 5 prong cord that is next to the power cord on back of the unit, is just two wires comming out of a junction with two screws that hold the wires in. I powered the unit on and put it into the analyse function to see if power was comming off of this junction. I don't get any reading on my multimeter. I would expect it would give out atleast 115 volts to power the enlarger lamp, but it gives nothing. I tried to put the analyser in lamp mode to see if any power comes from this junction and still nothing. I don't know if this is the point where the enlarger should be pluged in. Has anyone openned this unit up and can you tell me which wires the power out to the enlarger lamp is comming from? I would have thought that it would be this junction since it is right next to the power switch and inlet power cord. I don't see any other place to wire in outlet power to the enlarger lamp.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Colorstar 3000

I have three (3) ColorStar 3000s ... and I LOVE each and every one.

It sounds to me as though you have one with rather extensive modifications ... if possible an uploaded image would be *very* helpful in understanding this particular configuration.

All mine have "piggyback" line/ mains plugs. In use, the power cord from the enlarger is inserted into the piggyback socket and power will be switched from the analyze key ...? (I am not near my darkroom now, so I'm trying to write from memory ... I'l try to refine this at a later date..), or the timer.

If you have separated the top case of the console from the bottom, it is imperative the the four screws be replaced in their original positions ... One screw is SPECIAL - it has a captured conical lock washer, and its location is crucial for providing proper grounding and proper operation of the unit.

I have a LOT of information re: the ColorStar 3000, including re-programing from the INFAMOUS "E" error display.

As usual, every time I feel that I can contribute, I do not have the free time ... so .. later!
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    35mm
    Here are some pictures of the inside and plugs etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails colorstar 001.jpg   colorstar 009.jpg   colorstar 014.jpg   colorstar 015.jpg   colorstar 020.jpg  

colorstar 021.jpg   colorstar 026.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    The main power plug doesn't have a piggyback and the 5 prong cord that came out of the big hole next to the power cord has a red and black wire that connected into the junction block next to the one that the power cord is attached to on the inside of the unit. I removed this wire since it was used to attach to a footswitch recepticle for a Chromega power supply. The junction that it was connected into does not give any power, I assume that it just completes the curcuit like a footswitch. I don't want to jumper the two connections to find out that I am wrong. I don't really see any other place for connecting the enlarger power cord. I only get 120 volts off of the main power switch and the junction block where the main power cord connects to. Does the enlarger power cord plug into this junction? Is there a way to piggyback my plug? I don't have a service manual and I tried Lici but they don't respond and the email link is dead so I assume they are out of business. I tried Omega Satter but they also have never replied to my emails or phone calls. I don't know if anyone else has openned their unit but if someone has can you tell me if there is a place that the power cord for the enlarger is connected to. So far I am stumped. Thanks for all the answers so far but I guess I just don't have the correct model with the piggyback cord and to make one up I need to know how the power is interupted for the enlarger lamp to be turned on and off with the analyse and timer mode.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Apparently. this unit has undergone some major and mysterious surgery. Without a thorough knowledge of the intent of this modification, it is beyond my "scope" to give any advice.

Attached is a .jpg of the innards of an unmodified, pristine ColorStar for comparison.

One question: Does this unit operate acceptably when NOT interfaced with anything else/ per the ColorStar 3000 manual?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ColorStar1.jpg  
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    35mm
    So far I have not tested it to see if all the functions work. The timer and the buttons all work fine and the probe seems to be working since you can dial out the colorstar. I haven't yet tried to print with it since I wanted to be able to hook it into my enlarger. On the inside of yours I see more connections where my power cord is attached. That must be because of the piggyback setup I assume. I don't have any idea how this unit could be modified to use that kind of a plug. What does the back of the unit look like? Does it have the same hookups for everything else? This unit was used on a Super Chromega enlarger with a seperate power supply and the cord that went to that supply from the colorstar plugged into the footswitch recepticle. It must have taken care of the on and off functions for the enlarger lamp. I don't know. I guess I have an unusable unit for my purpose. Thanks for your help though, I just don't know what needs to be modified to make this work with a standard enlarger.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin