Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,010   Posts: 1,524,622   Online: 990

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by R Smith View Post
    Is there a way to post the print in better quaility? The print is sharp and detailed but the post of the scan is terrible.
    There are two likely causes of degradation between a print and a posted scan of the print:

1. Poor scan. The scanner hardware and/or software may be doing a poor job. If the hardware, there's really no solution but to get a new scanner. If it's the software, you may be able to try another scanning application or tweak the current software. There may also be things you can do to improve the scan quality without doing either, such as clean the scanner's glass or print on a different type of paper.
    2. Overcompression when posting. Most posts on Internet sites are JPEGs, and JPEG is a lossy format. I don't know about APUG specifically, but some forum programs reduce the size of images and/or crank up the compression ratio, which degrades the quality of posted images. If these settings are hard-coded in the forum or image hosting site, there's not much you can do to overcome them, although pre-shrinking your images yourself and starting out with low compression (aka high quality) settings may do a bit to help. Alternatively, you could post the image on your own Web site and post a link rather than post directly to the forum.

You can determine in which class the problem belongs by comparing the image you upload to the image you see in your browser. If what you uploaded looks better than what your browser shows, then chances are #2 is happening; but if what you see before uploading looks similar to what your browser shows, then chances are #1 is happening. (One caveat: Browsers sometimes scale images themselves, and they usually do it badly. Be sure your browser isn't scaling an image. In Firefox, clicking a scaled image typically shows you the same image at full resolution.)

Shooter
    35mm
    BTW very nice effort for your first print. Much better than mine. Congrats!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As Jason says, a good effort for your first print.

Personally, it is so long ago, I cannot remember how well my first (contact) print came out (probably a blessing!).

Isn't it great watching that image appearing before you! I never tire of it!

Welcome, and have fun!

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    I know there are real experts out there who are going to jump all over me for this. But I was taught by a bunch of old lab rats who did down and dirty production printing without a whole lot of analyzers, timers, etc. etc. They learned their craft in the 1930s and 1940s and taught me in the 1960s.

Put your negative strip in the carrier with a stripe of the clear film between frames in the center of the easel.
    Stop your enlarger lens down to f11.
    Make a test strip of the clear film, using three second intervals.
    Develop the strip normally; fix. Wash. Dry.
    Now find the first exposure patch that is as black as the remainder. That is your baseline exposure. Any part of your actual negative which is clear film will print as black in your print. Make the exposure of your neg at that time and f stop and let us know what you see. KISS.
    It is really that simple, isn't it? All the analyzers in the world can't do a better job than that simple test. I use an enlarging meter myself, and calibrated it to the paper speed with a step wedge. After that's done, I get the readings to achieve max black off the clear space between frames. Works like a charm.
    Last edited by fschifano; 10-22-2008 at 10:33 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No such epoch. It was more like an era.

Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    The Bertilsson speaks with wisdom. Its magic bullets were cast off during the Illumination de Thomas epoch.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    Something I don't think has been addressed here, is where to judge the exposure from. I look for full detail in the highlights. Once I have that, then adjust the contrast by looking at the blacks. Look for a deep black in deep shadows. It looks like your image is flat based on that measure. Keep trying, the old joke about how to get to Carnegie Hall applys just as much to the darkroom as it does to music!
    "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

My photos

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin