Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,207   Online: 806

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Rodagon vs. Componon

Can someone tell me whether the Rodagon 5.6/150 or the Componon 5.6/150 is the better enlarging lens?

luxikon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Both are excellent lenses, there's no real differences. The Componon may be older as it was replaced by the Componon S.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ctein rates enlarger lenses in his book "Post Exposure". He doesn't include any lenses in his list that he doesn't consider excellent. Both the Rodagon and the Componon-S are in the list and have identical flare, falloff, and distortion numbers in his tests. The Rodagon has "some longitudinal color at f:5.6" and the Schneider has "slight longitudinal color". The sharpness of both is rated the same relative to the sharper 135 Rodagon. The Schnieder has the "best contrast of 4x5 lenses", and the Rodagon has "good contrast" at f:8. Optimal aperture for both is f:8.

It's unclear if you are considering the Componon or the Componon-S. Ctein's tests are of the -S version.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    @ Lee

I am considering the Componon, not the -S type.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have a Schneider Apo-Componon and a Rodenstock Rodagon 150 mm f5.6 lens. Both seem quite good. The Schneider Apo takes a special lens board with my Beseler enlarger and as a result it is harder (? impossible) to align perfectly because it has subtle give/wobble in the connection to the enlarger. Therefore, on my enlarger, I am currently using the Rodagon and am quite happy with it. This is for B&W.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The plain Componon is also excellent I have 5 or 6, maybe more in various sizes. I also have two older Rodagons and 2 Componon-S, it's difficult/impossible to find any differences in the print quality between any of the lenses. Buy which ever is the newest of the two.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by luxikon View Post
    Can someone tell me whether the Rodagon 5.6/150 or the Componon 5.6/150 is the better enlarging lens?

luxikon
    No

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why mess with those dogs, get a Nikon.

Mike

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Both could be excellent lenses - and are when new

However, if you have the chance to physically examine them look for wear and scratches then put them on an enlarger and check for focus shift.

I have a Componon-S which focus shifts ever so slightly - no doubt it suffered a drop or similar in its life time - so now has been retired to be a perfectly adequate paper weight

Martin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used both and not noticed the difference. If you get an APO lens, then you might notice the difference.

...Jordan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin