Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,689   Posts: 1,548,779   Online: 1254

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I was actually comparing the two methods.

Since projection prints are much easier to make in my darkroom, I wanted to compare some 1:1s to to contact prints. I'm not going to comment on which looks better at this time. I know my Rodenstock 300mm lens field flatness deteriorates at 1:1, thus requiring f16, so the tests have not been 'fair.' A process lens would be better, but I don't have one.
    Great post. Just the other day I stumbled upon the two focal pt. phenomenon when setting up for making prints at 1:1. Another aspect of 1:1 printing that I'm finding especially vexing is focusing; grain appears sharp under grain focuser, but soft in print. Any ideas?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "Great post. Just the other day I stumbled upon the two focal pt. phenomenon when setting up for making prints at 1:1. Another aspect of 1:1 printing that I'm finding especially vexing is focusing; grain appears sharp under grain focuser, but soft in print. Any ideas?"

Possible reasons could include: chromatic aberrations, haze on lens surfaces causing flare, enlargement factor outside recommended range, uncoated lens etc. etc.

What lens are you using and is it coated?

Another possible reason might be your grain focusser being off.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    35mm

Cool enlarger trick

Grain sharp in focusser, not on print... I think there is unjustified faith that all grain focussers are spot on. I have several grain focussers, including long and short Patersons, a Peak 111, and a Focoblitz. I focussed on the grain at high magnification with each and printed a small section from the middle of the negative. Only the Focoblitz gave sharp grain in the print. So the others are very slightly "out". You could try focussing a little above and below the point that your focusser says is sharp, to see if your grain gets any sharper in the print. Unfortunately there is no way to calibrate or adjust any grain focusser that I have seen.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by youngrichard View Post
    Unfortunately there is no way to calibrate or adjust any grain focusser that I have seen.
    You can correct in one direction by pasting sheets of paper to the bottom of the focusser. The other way is a bit problematic, most folks wouldn't want to sand material off the bottom of thier scope to correct it.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by glbeas View Post
    You can correct in one direction by pasting sheets of paper to the bottom of the focusser. The other way is a bit problematic, most folks wouldn't want to sand material off the bottom of thier scope to correct it.

In some grain magnifiers, the mirror can be moved up or down with a simple set screw. The aerial image therefore is moved as well. The key is to get the mirror surface (if front-surfaced mirror is used) to enlarger lens distance exactly the same as the mirror surface to magnifier base/paper surface distance. Just like the reflex mirrors of slr cameras.
    FED ZORKI SURVIVAL SITE
    RANGEFINDERFILIPINAS
    Zorkikat.Com

"不管黑猫白猫能抓到老鼠就是好猫。" 邓小平
    It doesn't matter if a cat is black or white, so long as it catches mice.-邓小平

Images
    The initial magnification is less than 1. The image is smaller than the negative. As the distance from the lens to the easel approaches the focal length of the lens, the size of the image approaches infinitesimal compared to the negative and the bellows draw approaches infinity.
    Gadget Gainer

Images
    OOPS! Sorry, I didn't look to see that the puzzle had been solved.
    Gadget Gainer

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin