Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,050   Online: 1221

Nikon enlarging lenses

I am thinking of trying some Nikon enlarging lenses, and note that there are two "models"-one that is all hard black plastic ( or is it black metal? ), and one that has "shiny" metal as part of the lens. I am curious as to whether or not there is any difference ( other then cosmetic ) between the performance of the two lenses. I believe that the all black lens is of later manufacture. Is there a difference in the coating between the two "models"? Any other differences that would make the all black lens more "desirable"?

Thanks for any help.

Ed

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Yes I use both types. The late version with the knurled black sides is multi coated while the all metal one is either not coated or single coated. You might see some difference in color printing but in black and white I go back and forth between them and have never noticed any difference in contrast or sharpness. They are all very sharp and cover well.
    Dennis

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I believe Nikon also made an enlarging lens under the name Omicron which is high quality and can be picked up quite cheaply. Might be worth checkng out.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Considering the prices that used enlarging lenses are going for these days, I would get the latest version.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahler_one View Post
    I am thinking of trying some Nikon enlarging lenses, and note that there are two "models"-one that is all hard black plastic ( or is it black metal? ), and one that has "shiny" metal as part of the lens. I am curious as to whether or not there is any difference ( other then cosmetic ) between the performance of the two lenses. I believe that the all black lens is of later manufacture. Is there a difference in the coating between the two "models"? Any other differences that would make the all black lens more "desirable"?

Thanks for any help.

Ed
    I have both types a 105 black and chrome? Which I believe is single coated and a more recent 135 which is multicoated.

Monosnaps refered to Omicron this is my 50mm enlarger lens and its a star performer.

Shooter
    35mm
    I believe the black vs. shiny distinction relates to the age of the lens. A more important distinction is the number of elements in the lens design. As a general rule, the more elements the better. In many (most? all?) focal lengths, Nikon made at least two types of enlarger lenses: 4-element and 6-element. Unfortunately, the model names/numbers don't clearly indicate which design you've got. In the 50mm focal length, though, the f/4 model is a 4-element design whereas the f/2.8 model is a 6-element design. Thus, if you want a 50mm Nikon enlarging lens, the f/2.8 model is superior.

Of course, this assumes that the lens is in perfect condition. If an f/2.8 Nikon 50mm lens has been used as a hammer, all bets are off.

Thanks....how about the 135mm and the 150mm? I believe all are 5.6.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have both the 135mm and 150mm EL Nikkor lenses they are both f5.6 and are 6 elements I believe.

Thanks....so the only difference between the part black and the all black would probably be the coating.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin