Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,053   Posts: 1,561,249   Online: 1041

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "requires Ring"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

"requires Ring"

What does this mean? I'm thinking of buying a EL-Nikkor off of KEH.com.

Is the ring like this?:

Ring
    Lens Board
    Lens

Ring screws onto 39mm threads on lens? IS this right?

In addition, the main 2 choices are EX and UG. How would someone make a enlarger lens UG?! Its not like you are using it in the elements or having it on a camera that you drop or something.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yeah, the ring is what holds the enlarging lens to the lensboard. You can reverse screwmount an EL lens to an SLR to use as a macro lens, but I wouldn't recommend it- so many superior macro options at low cost.

EL lenses can take quite a lot of abuse- they are usually left uncapped in an enlarger for long periods, and can be quite easily damaged in handling. They are also (AFAIK) usually uncoated.

I would pass on an EL lens for 35mm work, frankly. For LF they are fine. None of my EL lenses are up to par with comparable 35mm lenses, that's for sure.
    Last edited by keithwms; 11-04-2008 at 09:43 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Whats not good about the EL-Nikkor lens?
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Large Format
    I use el Nikkor lenses for enlarging, and I find them all, from 50 through 300mm, excellent. For 35mm MACRO work, where you are getting into the 1:1 range, I have found the enlarging type lenses superior to a conventional camera lens. A specialized macro-type camera lens is usually about equal to an enlarging lens when operating in the 1:1 range.

To mount the enlarging lens, if the lensboard is not threaded, the ring screws onto the lens, with the lensboard in between, to "capture" the lensboard.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well, Marko, if it works for you then it works for you. Good.

Just bear in mind that some of the very best lenses ever are the Nikkor "micro" lenses and these have far more sophisticated formulas and coatings than what you find in the Nikkor ELs. Note also that the prices of the manual focus micros are very reasonable, they can be mounted and hooded in a standard way, and they also make damn good general purpose lenses. They have superb colour rendition at all reasonable magnifications and you can easily deploy extension tubes if you want more mag. You can also easily attach good macro flashes e.g. an sb29.

Depending on the EL, you may need to black out the aperture scale to prevent light leak.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A prospective bride?

Sorry, but Markok is a teenager - maybe he doesn't know!!!

Matt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    Well, Marko, if it works for you then it works for you. Good.

Just bear in mind that some of the very best lenses ever are the Nikkor "micro" lenses and these have far more sophisticated formulas and coatings than what you find in the Nikkor ELs. Note also that the prices of the manual focus micros are very reasonable, they can be mounted and hooded in a standard way, and they also make damn good general purpose lenses. They have superb colour rendition at all reasonable magnifications and you can easily deploy extension tubes if you want more mag. You can also easily attach good macro flashes e.g. an sb29.

Depending on the EL, you may need to black out the aperture scale to prevent light leak.
    I'm confused. I'm looking to get a lens for my enlarger, not to use for macro.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Marko,

I guess some people drag threads in different directions. EL Nikkors make excellent macro lenses as well as enlarging lenses. I have used them professionaly for many years. Get a 6 element design like a 50mm f2.8
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Oh, teehee, I had the impression you were planning to use the El on your 35mm... sorry

Shooter
    35mm
    For your enlarger the Nikkor EL is a very good lens for the money. If your enlarger uses a lens board you will need the ring. If your enlarger has a threaded mount, it will just screw right in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin