Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,264   Online: 1023

Shooter
    35mm RF

EJL Lamp - Philips or GE; what's the diff?

I need a new bulb for my 23c II color-head, an EJL lamp and the Philips is $7.92, the GE 12.20. What, besides the cost, is the difference in these; does one have a better light balance or life than the other?

Thanks for looking.

Eli

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One is made by GE the other by Phillips.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks Nick, I knew there had to be a good reason why

Cheers

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    It would possibly be more accurate to say one is marketed by GE and the other by Philips - they may even be made in the same factory.

Basically, all EJL bulbs are the same unless specified otherwise. Some manufacturers make "long life" versions (which would always be specified because this is a selling point).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Where did you find these bulbs? That is what my enlarger takes and those seem to be better prices than I have found. Thanks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Ghaffari View Post
    Where did you find these bulbs? That is what my enlarger takes and those seem to be better prices than I have found. Thanks.
    I've been using EIKO for my ELC & EJL lamps. Yes, they are manufacturers. I pay $2.50 ea. from a local lighting distributor. At that price, there is no reason not to keep a couple of spares on the shelf!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Alexander, here is the link for these bulbs, http://www.replacementlightbulbs.com/lampejl.html.

I agree with Thomas, spares are important and I usually get them even if it's only to make the most of shipping fees.

Off-hand, his $2.50 bulbs sounds like a better deal than the above, but they have given good service and provided difficult to find items each time I've needed them. They are certainly better prices than what the camera stores are asking. I don't mind paying a premium to an online store that is well stocked and provides film users with real value through quality items, but the usual places I shop at are asking $20 plus dollars for these bulbs and that is just outrageous in light of what they cost elsewhere.

Perhaps a sticky for this link and other bulb sources might help others and if the camera store lose the business, maybe they'll rethink gouging the folks keeping them in business.

Eli

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you for the link, Eli. I'll make sure to have spares now. : )

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin