Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,669   Posts: 1,481,757   Online: 936

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Martin

The photo's are of my late grandparents, dad and uncle when they were in India in the mid 1930's, and when my late dad was a baby.

Out of interest which enlrager did you use or did you use a contact printer?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi Connie, my negs were 6 x 9cm (2.5 x 3.25 inches)

I have a Kaiser that will do up to 6 x 9 (chosen as all my fathers’ photos from 1946 to the 70s were shot in that format) and a 105mm enlarging lens.

The 2.5" x 4.5" negs are going to be a problem for you to enlarge – if you can only go up as far as 6x6cm – you will have to selectively crop the neg to get a print – or find some one with a Large Format Enlarger.

However, 2.5" x 4.5" negs would contact print quite nicely without too much eye strain for the viewers – and would be a good place to start.

Have fun

Martin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi martin

have seen this on ebay Durst CLS 450 Laborator 1000 colour enlarger - what do think?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I think that if you can afford large format colour gear, you go girl! I think everyone should do 4x5, it's awesome!

But if you just want to print some large format negatives, then you'd have a very hard time spending more on a decent lab, then getting into a whole new format.

P.S. Buy the enlarger, then a 4x5 camera, then get into colour.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would just like a decent 4x5 enlarger to print in black and white negs for time being as am a budget. Knew to this format so wasn't sure of the makes and models to search on the net.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Sorry, I'm not sure I was clear.

When I said you'd have a hard time spending more on a decent lab...etc...etc.., I didn't mean you going out and buying a decent lab setup. I meant you might be better off getting your negatives enlarged by a decent commercial photolab, and paying them for the enlargements, than buying your own gear.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin