Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,447   Posts: 1,597,102   Online: 836

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I prefer color head filters too. For my Dunco I got a combined modul: one for colorprinting and with a switch VC for bw . Its working very fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Multigrade filters will fade in time. Ilford says to expect 2 to 3 years, but they may last longer if you don't use them much. Throw them out if they appear to be faded or uneven. The same can be said for the dichro filters in enlargers, although they generally last longer. As for which to use, it's your choice. The dichro head is easier to adjust, and you can get continuous adjustments. Some older heads do not have enough adjustment range to cover all the contrast grades you may want, however. The individual filters are also made so that there is no change in exposure when you change filters (at least in grades 00 through 3-1/2, with a predictable 1 stop increase for the higher grades). Exposure may change with the dichro adjustment. I generally use the dichro head to adjust contrast on my big enlargers, but for some reason I find it easier to use the filters on my 35mm enlarger.

Shooter
    Medium Format

About De Vere and MG filters

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
    I have a colour head on my DeVere but I use an under the lens Ilford Multigrade filters.

I can very carefully slide the filters in and out of the holder without disturbing the head - something I am guaranteed to do with changing the colour filtrations

If you are not split grade filtering then there is no advantage - if you are then this is a BIG plus point

I do use the heads in built colour filters but only as a variable ND filter to keep the exposure times sensible.

Martin
    Thank you for your tip on using under the lens filters on De Vere.

As I also do split-grade and it can be tiring to dial back-and -forth. I have one question though. How does these Ilford filters mount on De Vere? I have never used external filters on enlargers..

I have a 504 and use mainly EL-Nikkor 80mm lens to go with it. As I am thinking of buying a set I would appreciate advice on what kind of set it should have and how to mount it on my enlarger? But I also have 135mm EL-Nikkor so that might require larger set, is this correct?

Please let know if you good tried and true solutions for this one. Thanks.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Niina, you should be fine

The Under The Lens Filter Set of MG Filters made by Ilford come with a Filter Carrier which clamps to the outside circumference at the bottom of an Enlarging Lens.

Since I don't have El-Nikkor Lenses I cannot 100% guarantee that the Filter Carrier will fit - but I am 99.9% certain that it will.

I find an 80mm Rodenstock Lens to be on the very limit of what the Carrier can clamp onto (the bottom of the lens doesn't really stick out from the bottom of the Enlarger far enough to get a good purchase)

A 135mm Lens will be a much more certain proposition – as the lens barrel is longer

I use the same standard Filter Carrier with a 150mm f5.6 without problems - for reference it takes a regular 52mm screw in filter, so the barrel external diameter must be 55~56mm minimum.

Hope this helps

Martin

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by nworth View Post
    . The same can be said for the dichro filters in enlargers, although they generally last longer. .
    As I understand things the dichroic head filters will last almost indefinitely due the the fact that they operate on an interference principle and not on obstructing the light in the way that under the lens filters do. I admit to not understanding this explanation but assuming it is correct then any buyer needs to know that the purchase of a dichroic head will give him/her virtually filters for life whereas the under the lens filters or the filters for the built-in tray over the lens will fade and with the ones used more often say grades 2-3.5 fading faster.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    As I understand things the dichroic head filters will last almost indefinitely due the the fact that they operate on an interference principle and not on obstructing the light in the way that under the lens filters do. I admit to not understanding this explanation but assuming it is correct then any buyer needs to know that the purchase of a dichroic head will give him/her virtually filters for life whereas the under the lens filters or the filters for the built-in tray over the lens will fade and with the ones used more often say grades 2-3.5 fading faster.

pentaxuser
    Hence the reason I bought a dichroic head.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gbu View Post
    Would it be better to use the dial up filters in the colour head for contrast control
    Yes!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin