Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,967   Posts: 1,523,369   Online: 1195

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Easel for Ilford postcard paper???

I just bought a box of Ilford postcard paper. I though I'd try making some of my own postcards this holidays eason. Does anyonme have experience using this paper? In particular, how do you get an even white border? I have several different easels, none of which accomodate the paper. Is there a dedicated easel or do I have to jig something from scratch? Any experiences would be helpful...

Thanks,
    Louie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is possible to find Speed Easels for post cards, but these are designed for use with the old Kodak Kodabromide paper that was slightly smaller than Ilford postcard stock.

I've have reasonable success with an ordinary four-blade easel.
    Louie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just use a small two blade easel which takes a maximum paper size of 10"x8".

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K View Post
    I just use a small two blade easel which takes a maximum paper size of 10"x8".
    Same here, although I use a 5x7 two blade easel - don't think that I use that easel for anything other than postcards....

I think that I paid $3.00 for it at a photo swap meet.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Louie, It's a great format. I have a print that I made on this paper on my desk right now, one of my Lake District collection. May I suggest that you forget the white border? Just lay the paper on the enlarger base after framing and focusing, and print across the full size, like many commercial post cards.

George

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Louie View Post
    Ilford postcard paper ... how do you get an even white border?
    I usually print borderless using a Saunders borderless easel. The paper lies flat enough that an 'L' cut from cardboard and taped to the enlarger baseboard would do a good enough job.

Any good adjustable easel will give an even white border. 4-blade easels are easier to use: insert a sacrificial sheet and set the top blade, mark a line with a pencil, rotate the sheet and scribe new lines on the remaining sides, and finally set the remaining three blades to the lines. Keep the sheet for the next time you need to set the easel.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    35mm
    Louie Great minds think alike. I raised exactly the same issue in a thread several months ago and sad to say didn't get the answers I was hoping for. With postcard paper, the border in my opinion needs to be very small to look right. The old commercial postcards had it right but their borders were no more than 3mm and possible as little as 2. Unfortunately most easels won't give smaller than about 1/4 inch which looks too large IMO. The Paterson 5x7 easel gives an ideal border of just under 4mm but it's 5x7 not postcard size.

Here's an idea. Get a 5x7 Paterson easel ( good for 5x7 if nothing else), put a postcard in it, giving you the left and bottom borders. Process the print( black is best) then reverse the print so the two borders are now visible then try cutting a template with the correct size opening which just covers the borders. Doesn't matter if the template is bigger than the postcard as long as the opening matches the print size thus giving the same borders.

Might be difficult to do as a DIY project but a machine shop with either a laser cutter or a Numerical Control cutter could cut a piece of plastic or metal which exactly matched the Paterson border available for 5x7 prints - I think.

Anyone coming up with a means of devising accurate borders of about 3-4 mm for postcard paper is very welcome.

Anyone who knows of an easel which will do borders as small as 3mm is equally or even more welcome.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I recently did an experiment with one cut from mat board. Basically I cut a postcard image size window in a piece of mat board then hinged it with tape to a backer. It worked though I had to blacken the bevel with a marker to get a clean border in the postcard.
    I consider it a work in progress, meanwhile I used my 4 blade easel again for this round. Though a two blade would work just as well.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    This question came up a few weeks ago and it prompted me to start making a single size easel for this paper only (I have both the NC cutter and laser cutter at work). As usual with my projects I got half way then stopped. I may give it another go again this week.

Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'd be interested in a single size easel if you get around to it, Steve.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin