Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,316   Posts: 1,536,709   Online: 937

Thread: printing 6 x 7

Shooter
    35mm

printing 6 x 7

anyone printing 6 x 7 on an enlarger?

I am going to be printing on 16 x 20 paper. I wonder what sizes people print on for this size of paper?

It seems that 11.5 x 17.5" is the best full frame fit for 6 x 7.

Or, 13.8 x 21", but I would obviously have to crop an inch off the long side and it would prob look weird -- with the space above/below the image but none on the long side.

thoughts?

EDIT: I originally wrote 6 x 9 printing, when I meant 6 x 7.
    Last edited by t al z; 11-18-2008 at 11:35 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As I said before it depends on whether you want a border or not.

Personally I print with an 1.25" border, so i print to 3.5" of the width, or height, you have to choose for yourself if you want a border or none. But film gate & neg carrier are morec important they ultimately determine the size you print at.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by t al z View Post
    anyone printing 6 x 7 on an enlarger?

I am going to be printing on 16 x 20 paper. I wonder what sizes people print on for this size of paper?

It seems that 11.5 x 17.5" is the best full frame fit for 6 x 7.

Or, 13.8 x 21", but I would obviously have to crop an inch off the long side and it would prob look weird -- with the space above/below the image but none on the long side.

thoughts?

EDIT: I originally wrote 6 x 9 printing, when I meant 6 x 7.
    ok, but the sample dimensions you give fit 6 x 9.
    6 x 7 is very close to relative dimensions of 16 x 20.

So what's the issue???

Bob
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    How are you displaying the photograph? Having any "extra" around a print does not matter if you trim the print for mounting -- or use a window mat to cover the photo.

I like leaving at least 1/2 inch (~15mm, I guess) around the image area to make handling the print easier as it goes thru the process.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Printing paper is too expensive to waste so I use the smallest paper that will allow me to print the image that I want. I never print small images on large sheets of paper and I use the smallest margins that will allow the easel to hold the paper down properly. It sounds like you are worrying too much about margin sizes. Unless you aren't going to mat the print, margins won't show anyway. I choose the margin sizes when I mat the print. But even if you don't mat the print, you can always trim print margins anyway. I only rarely mat a small print in a large mat but it can be effective sometimes. But when I do that, the print itself is small and has small margins. I see no reason to waste paper using large margins when they won't be seen anyway.

There are two main methods of matting. One is to have the window (top) mat cover the edges of the print. The other (preferred by Ansel Adams) is to have the entire edge of the print showing under the mat. But, in either case, the print's margin isn't showing. In the second method, it is trimmed off anyway.

I think of print margins as necessary waste. It's necessary simply because the easel has to hold paper in place. But I can think of no reason for making small prints on large sheets of paper resulting in very large margins unless you are going to display the print with no matting and, even then, you can trim unevenness of margin sizes.

I let the image tell me what size it should be printed and how it should be matted and displayed. Margins are not a concern to me. Also, I would avoid making your choice of image size and margin size a mathematical exercise. And don't hesitate to crop the image if that will improve it. There is no law saying you have to use the entire negative although you do want to shoot so that you use as much of the film as possible for quality purposes. (No use wasting film either.) But trying to impose an aspect ratio onto a scene just because you are shooting in a particular format is unwise, IMO. I try to shoot so cropping, if necessary, is minimized but if, for example, I have a 4x5" or 8x10" negative that would look much better as a panorama, I don't hesitate to crop.

Now, if you are displaying un-matted prints, the margins do have to be considered. Just be sure that your smallest margin size is enough for your needs. Then you can trim the larger margins any way you like.

Best
    Last edited by ZoneIII; 11-19-2008 at 10:12 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I mat, but I prefer not to drymount, so I try to print with a margin sufficient to keep a hinge-mounted print flat under the mat.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    ZoneII, well said.

I should have specified that I am most likely not matting as I cannot afford it. I am prob going to use rimless frames with clips or something similar. Unless I find some cheap frames. I totally agree that size is dependent upon the image. I am working on a series that will all be similar size as I believe the images will work that way and it adds a nice sense to unity to the pieces. I believe my images will work for large prints and therefore will print on the 16 x 20" as large as possible with a nice border...maybe around 13.5 x 19.5"....or around there...

Shooter
    35mm
    oh...and...sorry, after rereading my post, I realize 11.5 x 17.5" (and 13.8 x 21") are a 6 x 9 sizes.

the 6 x 7 sizes close to 16 x 20" paper are, 14.1 x 16.5" and 16.5 x 19.2".

so, for a one inch and two inch border, I could go for 15 x 17.7"...or somewhere thereabouts...prob 15 x 18"

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin