Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,223   Posts: 1,532,534   Online: 1087

Shooter
    35mm RF

how to clear the dust off negative in the dry season

Now it's winter in Beijing, China. I find that working at darkroom, the negative is easily floated with dust, small silk, etc. Since I wear sweater, my body is with static electricity, though I could get the dust off negative/negative carrier with hands, it's easily coming back. The air is too dry, dust particles are floating in the air. Any good solutions? Thanks.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    ozone generator will ionize the air that makes the dust heavy so it fall in the ground. It also reduce static in the air.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wiping the room down with a wet rag will humidify the air, helps a lot. You could also fill a large tray with hot water to help keep the humidity up.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You may find an anti-static generator useful. I have not tried one, but I hope too, soon.

Link: http://tinyurl.com/5n6apm

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi ericzhu,

It is always very dry here in Utah, so I know what you are up against. I have an air filter that is on a timer. It runs every night for a few hours, long enough to turn the air over every night. This has helped a lot. I use a blower bulb and an anti static brush when prepping negs for the carrier or contact frame.

RJS

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here (Southern California) we often have the same problem - Santa Ana winds with extremely low humidity. Inexpensive humdifiers which produce either cold or warm humidified air are available. They are sold primarily for medical uses - people with various breathing problems - but serve wonderfully in the dark room. I believe that these days most are made in China so you may not have a problem finding one

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks all for wonderful solutions. The humidifier is really made in China and I have one. Maybe later I would also buy the ozone generator/ air purifier. Last night, I wiped the floor with wet rag before working in the kitchen(my darkroom), it serves well.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin