Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,522   Posts: 1,543,799   Online: 771

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Tim Rudman's books are excellent. I have all of them and re-read them and refer to them all the time. I have other books, but they dont get looked at anything like as often.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks, I've purchased most of titles you mentioned, including Les's and HH's books. Rudman seems to be pretty scarce on both ebay and amazon. Had some luck, however, hope all the books will get here in two-three week time.
    Last edited by lgrabun; 12-20-2008 at 07:43 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Lukasz Grabun
    My webpage: grabun.com
    My latest photos: click here

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'll second any of Tim Rudman's books and Les McLean's is a must have. Also John Blakemore's book, Black & White Photography Workshop, is great.
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

"you get your mouth off of my finger" Les McLean

For practical information and an inspired approach to the aesthetics of interpreting negatives, few books can match Larry Bartlett's Black& White Photographic Printing Workshop. It's a must have for beginner and expert alike.

Alan Clark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is the Les McLean title people are referring to _Creative Black & White Photography_, or is there something else more specifically on printing?
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The book I got is "Creative Black & White Photography". It is good but not as good as I expected.
    Lukasz Grabun
    My webpage: grabun.com
    My latest photos: click here

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanC View Post
    For practical information and an inspired approach to the aesthetics of interpreting negatives, few books can match Larry Bartlett's Black& White Photographic Printing Workshop. It's a must have for beginner and expert alike.

Alan Clark
    Excellent, excellent book.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I read the Adams trilogy once. But since I discovered Tim Rudman's and the Lamprecht/Woodhouse book I referred to them a hundred of times.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    This discussion has answered the same question for me. I found the McLean book for $.75 and $4 shipping on ebay and the Rudman book used for $19 + $4 shipping!
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    35mm
    Late to this thread, I know, but the OP seemed to be new to the game. I would recommend a really basic and easy-to-understand book like Mastering Black-and-White Photography: From Camera to Darkroom by Bernhard Suess. Lots of relevant, solid facts, that cover much of what most people need to know to get a solid foundation.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin