Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,520   Posts: 1,543,796   Online: 781

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

A quick question about the dividers in your home-made washer a-la Fineartphotosupply; If I use smooth plexiglass will the prints stick to the side and therefore not get washed? Would a textured material (ceiling flourescent light) be better for this reason?

Roger
    Roger Bird
    Burlington, Ontario
    Canada
    http://home.cogeco.ca/~rogerpbird

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    it might be better for the reasons you state but the ones with the texture have little points on them and it leads me to believe they could damage the print surfaces without too much trouble. I own two washers and neither have a textured surface separators. I don't seem to recall seeing the prints stuck to the sides of the dividers. just my opinion.

lee\c

Images
    The ceiling light fixture plastic is really sharp. I was using it as dividers for a while, but it scratched my prints. The Versalab print washer I used to use had smooth sides on the dividers. I use a 16x20 tray with a kodak tray siphon now.
    hi!

Quote Originally Posted by bmac
    The ceiling light fixture plastic is really sharp. I was using it as dividers for a while, but it scratched my prints. The Versalab print washer I used to use had smooth sides on the dividers. I use a 16x20 tray with a kodak tray siphon now.
    Just curious... Why did you switch from using the VersaLab? The reason I am making mine (total cost of CAD$35) is that I am too frugal (cheap) to get the VersaLab.

Actually I was looking at the light fixture dividers; nevermind scratching the print, I am sure my hands would be bleeding by the end of the night. There is one though, with a cracked ice appearance.

Roger
    Roger Bird
    Burlington, Ontario
    Canada

Images
    It was too big for my work area, otherwise, it was a great washer.
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by L Gebhardt
    I like my homemade one. It's a 10 gallon aquarium with 6 plexi divideres held in place with PVC pipe with slits in it. Took an hour or so to build. Prints test very clean for residual hypo after 45 minutes and one water change. I got the idea from www.fineartphotosupply.com
    I bought the 11x14 one from fineartphotosupply.com. The link to the washer page is here. What you get in the mail is ten (or so... not near the washer right now) pre-cut plexiglass dividers, two pieces of PVC pipe with the slits pre-cut, and a couple of pieces of plexiglass to stick on top in case any prints float up. You're left to your own devices to get a 10-gallon acquarium tank because the cost of shipping them would greatly outstrip their value. I got mine from Wal-Mart for $10-12. You're also left to your own devices to get water into the tank.

Since I'm using a somewhat-converted bathroom for a darkroom (I don't have to tear it down when I'm done), the print washer fits perfectly in the width of the bathtub, in case there's any run-over. I run a hose through a heavy-duty clamp and clip it on the side for incoming water, and the siphon hose for outgoing is supplied with the kit.

You can see my print washer "in the wild" in this partial shot of my darkroom. It's in the bottom left of the frame, in the tub.

Really saves on water. I fill it up, pull prints from the fix to a water-filled holding tray, then fill up the washer, let the prints soak for a half hour, recycle the water in the washer for fifteen minutes, then let them soak for another half hour.

btw -- once in a while a print sort of clings to a divider, I just wiggle the divider back and forth and the print flows off. Hasn't been a prob for me.

-KwM-
    Last edited by kwmullet; 07-12-2004 at 11:09 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: adding a comment about prints sticking, or lack thereof

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I made one similar to what is described above:

1 10 gallon tank - $13
    4 pieces of 11"x20" plexiglass - $12
    one small pump (not really needed) - $30
    6' of 3/4" clear tubing - $3
    the rubber and metal tube with fitting for the sink faucet from a tray print washer - ($8 on ebay)

The plexiglass goes into the tank so that an inch of space is at the bottom of each piece. The metal tube from the print washer goes in the bottom, along with the little pump (though you can just use the clear tube without the pump and siphon the water out.) I had planned to use silicon sealant to hold the plexiglass in place, but found that it wasn't necessary.

No problem with the prints sticking to the plexiglass at all.

Good luck,

William

Thanks for the ideas. I think I will stick with the thin plexiglass for the dividers, although I am not sure how many I will put in yet. The only thing I am thinking of doing different is cutting a 3" wide strip out of the middle of every other divider (from the top) so that I can reach smaller prints. Even though the additional cost of making a 5x7 washer out of a 2.5 gallon tank is miniscule, I just don't need something else to crowd my room. Thanks again!

Roger
    Roger Bird
    Burlington, Ontario
    Canada

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerBird
    Thanks for the ideas. I think I will stick with the thin plexiglass for the dividers, although I am not sure how many I will put in yet. The only thing I am thinking of doing different is cutting a 3" wide strip out of the middle of every other divider (from the top) so that I can reach smaller prints. Even though the additional cost of making a 5x7 washer out of a 2.5 gallon tank is miniscule, I just don't need something else to crowd my room. Thanks again!

Roger
    With only 6 dividers I can slip my hands in to get to the bottom. With 10 I don't think I could.

Well, my print washer project is almost done. I decided to put in 6 dividers. It has taken me longer than expected to cut the pvc pipe. If I had a table saw it would have been quicker. But I have been stuck using my jigsaw and dremel.

Total Cost in CAD$:
    10 gal tank $12
    Plexiglass sheet 30"x60" 25
    1/2" clear tubing 6
    1 1/4" pvc pipe 3 (it came in a 10' length, used only 40")

total cost CAD$46

This is going to work well!
    Roger
    Roger Bird
    Burlington, Ontario
    Canada

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin