Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,818   Posts: 1,581,644   Online: 802

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I am getting ready to buy a print washer, does anyone have any recommendations or feedback on the one they have,thanks,

Ray Bidegain

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I like my homemade one. It's a 10 gallon aquarium with 6 plexi divideres held in place with PVC pipe with slits in it. Took an hour or so to build. Prints test very clean for residual hypo after 45 minutes and one water change. I got the idea from www.fineartphotosupply.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for the info. Could you make more details available? I have always wanted to design a home-built washer for my 11x14s.

Slightly off topic, I recently located some wire baskets at the local Kmart which just fit a 4x5 negative. I bought four for a trial and they work great. I stack them with a negative in each then put the whole assy into a tray just high enough for the water to cover the highest negative. Should work equally well with several more - and they are cheap. There is a choice of coated or stainless steel.

Truly, dr bob.
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning. It smells like...creativity!
    Truly, dr bob.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    More details: Start with a standard 10 gallon aqarium. Cut 4 peices of 2 inch PVC pipe to fit the short way across the tank. Mark the pipe lengthwise in half - draw two lines from each end of the pipe opposite each other. Then draw 5 cut marks evenly spaced along the pipe. Using a chop saw cut slots into the pipe - only going to the 2 lines that divide the pipe in half. Do this for all 4 peices of pipe. Put two peices of pipe on each end of the tank stacked on top of each other - these are the supports for the plexiglass dividers. Now cut 5 peices of plexiglasss so that they will fit into the tank and slipinto the slots in the pipe. I added a drain syphon hose through one set of pipes and then drilled a series of three holes in each compartment to get better drainage from the bottom. Thats about it. Also, use thin (1/8 inch) plexiglass so it will fit into the saw kerf - makes the cuts simple.

To use I fill it with a hode from the top. I start a siphon to drain it. I have found for FB paper all I need to do is let the prints soak for 15 to 30 minutes, drain half the water while filling it with the hose and wait another 30 minutes. The prints test clean. I do wash in Perma Wash 5 minutes first. This design works for 6 11x14 prints. And it is cheap.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I made a very similar washer, but for the dividers used a grating made to go in ceiling light fixtures. It's about 1/4" thick, so sawing the cuts in the PVC is a bit more complicated. The advantage I see is that the grating is mostly hole, ensuring plenty of water flow around the print.
    juan

I have Calumets 20x24. works great. Has individual chambers that don't contaminate each other. Available from Calumet.com

There are kits available to make your own on www.fineartphotography.com

Hope this helps,

Michael McBlane

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie
    dr Bob,
    Send me a pic of the wire cage thing. I can make more of them, or even looking at it i could improve on the design to add handles and anything else that might be useful.
    Aggie I don't have a d-----l camera or a close-up attachment for my Polaroid so an instant image is not possible. However the little baskets are just that -little steel mesh baskets with a square base about but not quite as long as the 5" side of my 4x5s, which causes the film to just stand off the bottom a slight way. The sides are about 2-1/5" high and tapered so that they can be stacked, without bottoming out on the ones below.

I've been thinking of trying a couple of s.s. ones to test processing. The plastic coated wire ones work very well for washing, which has been a hassel without a proper film tank like I used in circ. 1950 (oops). They sure are easier to load.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by L Gebhardt
    More details....And it is cheap.
    Thanks so much. I will give this a try on a warm day or next spring. I want to use my radial arm saw and band saw which are in my unheated garage. Also the Mate wishes me to move _her_ Miata outside when I cut. I also like the idea of the waffle diffuser material for the separators. Will check on the materials there to insure against contamination. I have found that some "home improvement" materials can be pretty "dirty" chemically.

Truly, dr bob.

My answer, for a limited amount of prints. Use an old developing tray, buy one of those cheap rubber mixer shower/tap things and drill a hole a bit smaller than the pipe at the bottom of the tray, squeeze it in and attatch to the tap. Water flows from the base to the top and rinses the print.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin