Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,551   Posts: 1,599,137   Online: 1150

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can confirm Per's results with Azo, and it is the most I have actually seen. My results with MGIV FB coldtone max out at about 2 or a little less, and most papers give less. PE's comments are quite important here. There can be a quite a difference between a paper's apparent DMax and its measured DMax. Kodak papers had very modest DMax compared to others, but the blacks often appeared to be blacker and better. Agfa papers achieved only a little better DMax, but they consistently had excellent blacks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This gets into a subject called "Goniophotometry" or the measure of density as a function of angle of light and viewing system. The densitometer has a fixed value, but the human eye and head can move and integrate and this is the key to how we see a print differently than a densitometer does.

Also, curve shape, as I said before, is very important. A low shoulder contrast and low dmax "looks" different to us than a sharp shoulder at the same dmax.

The bottom line to this is what my first boss told me at EK. "Rely on the eye and pictures, we don't sell sensitometric curves, we sell pictures!"

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    I understand that Yogi Berra has said "You can see a lot just by looking". A print that has a long scale is useful in that using in the range of approx. 90% of it and not printing the blacks any darker than need be for dark tones to look sufficiently black will maximize shadow detail and highlight separation. Trying to achieve the blackest tone possible with a paper is a wonderfully effective way to discard precious shadow detail.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin