Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,846   Online: 868

Thread: 8x10 salzman

Shooter
    8x10 Format

8x10 salzman

Hello to All
    After years of doing only contact printing of 8x10 negatives, I am getting a Saltzman 8x10 enlarger. I have never even seen one exept in pictures.
    Dose anyone use this enlarger and have some pointers for me? I would like to know if the enlarger can be pluged into the wall (I have both 120 and 220 outlets) ,or will I need a separate generater or voltage regulater?
    Regards,
    Bill

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I remember 'seeing' a Saltzmen cmera when I was 17 (38 years ago, give or take). It was pluged into the wall, no special setups. They were 110vac plugs. So I would guess your covered.

Joe
    There is no such thing as taking too much time, because your soul is in that picture. -Ruth Bernhard

The 8x10 Saltzman I have seen on it's own base takes an 11 foot ceiling height to clear. I have used a 5x7 Saltzman for many years. It is 9 feet tall. Make sure you have enough clearance. It is super heavy.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbillbugman View Post
    Hello to All
    After years of doing only contact printing of 8x10 negatives, I am getting a Saltzman 8x10 enlarger. I have never even seen one exept in pictures.
    Dose anyone use this enlarger and have some pointers for me? I would like to know if the enlarger can be pluged into the wall (I have both 120 and 220 outlets) ,or will I need a separate generater or voltage regulater?
    Regards,
    Bill
    I've only used an 8x10 Saltzman once but I did have a chance to help a guy move one. Very very very heavy. You'll need a couple of people to move it. Not only that, but you'll need a high ceiling for the column. On the bright side, you won't find a sturdier enlarger. There is one user on Apug who has one... I believe his alias is Vet173

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Guilty, PM'd Bill

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Hi Vet 173,
    Thank you for your PM. The monster has not arrived yet. I Expect it this week. Then I will see what is up. One thing that I do know for sure is that I do have the clearence for it. After that, an adventure.
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd be interested in seeing a picture of the beast when it arrives.

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Salzman Photo

Hi Ice-recer,
    Once this thing arrives, I will take photos of the parts, then the fully(hopefuly) assembled contraption. Meanwhile, here is an image of a similar Salzman.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails saltzmans.jpg  

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Have fun Bill. Mine looks a little different than the one you show.
    http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...68&ppuser=6025

Shooter
    Multi Format
    With respect to the voltage issues in your original post, it looks like yours is operated with chains and manual levers ( http://www.digoliardi.net/e/b/pages/under1.htm ) so your power issues will be dependent on which head yours comes with.

Thats a fantastic enlarger. I understand Karsh used one of those.

Saltzman catalog: http://www.digoliardi.net/saltz_cat/

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin