Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,940   Posts: 1,585,669   Online: 951

Shooter
    Medium Format

Paterson CdS Meter guidelines..

Hola!

I recently bought a Paterson CdS meter (mains plug version) with no manual. It seems to be hard to find a .pdf version of the manual on the net.

Does anybody knows how does it works?.

While playing with it, I realize more or less how it works, but just to be sure...

I don't know the equivalences for the paper speed scale, but I try to "calibrate" it when I set that scale for let's say 8 seconds (which tends to be my "standard") while the amber light turns on (I test it with a "controlled" negative film).

It also comes with a sort of difuser...

Any advice will be highly appreciated.

Best regards,

JuanMi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The diffuser is to take an "average" meter reading.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have the same meter with manual if I find the time later today I will make a scan copy of it. I have fiddled with it but really I am not to sure if I will find a purpose for it.

The book had a conversion table for MV paper though I was confused with the conversions so I dropped it entirely. I think you use the diffuser exclusively (not sure if it has any accuracy metering a specific spot) and twist the dial till the amber light flickers and shuts off. It needs to be done very slowly to be accurate. After that I have no idea why I would need it other than to make a print again at a later time and make sure that it is accurate with the previous print.

If any one can shed some light on the usefulness of this meter I would appreciate it. Can it be used for split-tone printing?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is definitely intended as an averaging meter. You should start with the slot closed down and open slowly until the neon just flickers. I used to use one as a spot meter by setting it nearly closed (marked with tape) and adjusting the lens aperture for standard 10 or 20 second exposures for deepest shadows. It was OK for 10x8. It was a problem working off-axis, since the sensor is in a deep 'canyon' in the dial.

It was fine as a way of getting consistent shadow exposure on graded paper, leaving the highlights to best judgment of grade. But there are better devices around.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hola Rebelist!
    Thank you very much for your comments. I was in a trip and couldn't answer before...

I would kindly ask you to scan me the manual (no matter the format, I will do that job)... if possible...

Again thank you very much!

JuanMi

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamp View Post
    It was a problem working off-axis, since the sensor is in a deep 'canyon' in the dial.
    Er... what do you mean by off-axis working? please, note my lack of knowledge...

Thank you for the information you gave me.

JuanMi

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin