Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,076   Online: 738

Shooter
    Multi Format

Omega "D" enlarger (no number?)

I am currently looking for an enlarger that can handle 4x5 and I ran across a gentleman who says he says a Omega "D" enlarger. I can't find much on the web about an Omega D enlarger, but of course lots of the D2 D-II etc.. I did find one thing that said there was an D model that was even older than the D2 series. Can anyone tell me about this enlarger? Is it basically a D2 or does it have some disadvantages comparatively?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The D2V was one of the first of the "2" series that could handle different sizes of film. The "V" stood for Variable Condenser. The condenser was used to adjust the light for sizes from 4x5 to 35mm. I have one. Fine tool.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Might cost to much to ship. but look at this one.

http://springfield.craigslist.org/pho/966611170.html

Mike

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    The D2V was one of the first of the "2" series that could handle different sizes of film. The "V" stood for Variable Condenser. The condenser was used to adjust the light for sizes from 4x5 to 35mm. I have one. Fine tool.

PE
    um, of course, the ordinary D-2 came before the D-2V and, the D-II seeems to me to have come even before the D-2. They both can also print different size negs...one need only switch out the condenser set. Not really a big deal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    domaz

you might check out http://www.classic-enlargers.com
    harry taylor is THE MAN when it comes to omega enlargers.
    he has and has made parts and accessories for many of them.
    harry has a discussion/help board as well.

good luck!

john

ps. i have a mil. contract d3v ( bigger than 4x5 to take 6" aerial film ) and an e4

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh, yes Brad, I agree, but wasn't the D2V the first with an integral variable condenser for all sizes from 4x5 down and a filter drawer to boot. The others were very inconvenient to work with IIRC. I bought that one as my first "good" enlarger just due to the big jump in convenience from the older ones which were a pain to convert from one size neg to another. I remember the demo the clerk gave me and how easy the D2V was to work with.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Oh, yes Brad, I agree, but wasn't the D2V the first with an integral variable condenser for all sizes from 4x5 down and a filter drawer to boot. The others were very inconvenient to work with IIRC. I bought that one as my first "good" enlarger just due to the big jump in convenience from the older ones which were a pain to convert from one size neg to another. I remember the demo the clerk gave me and how easy the D2V was to work with.

PE
    Oh, yeah! It is definitely easier to switch neg sizes with the D-2V than with either the D-II or the D-2...funny, I have a D-2 and all the various condensor sets but, only ever use it for 4x5. If I wan tot print 35mm, I bring the itty-bitty Durst into the bath room and leave the monster D-2 in the garage.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have a D-II that I usually use with an Aristo Hi-D cold light head, but I have a "color" condenser head (i.e., a condenser head with a filter drawer), and the 4x5" condenser set works fine with smaller formats. I'd imagine the smaller condenser sets are more efficient, but I seem to get even illumination with 35mm and medium format using the 4x5" condenser.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin