Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,966   Posts: 1,523,365   Online: 1221

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Minimal magnification

Hello everyone! I tried searching the forum for this problem but can't seem to find a similar question posted previously. I hope you can figure that out.
    I have run into a strange problem, namely I am not able to produce prints smaller than 18x18cm (about 7X7").
    I use a Kaiser V-System enlarger for formats up to 6X7 and shoot 6X6. The original lens was a 50mm. As it could not cover 6X6, I got a rodagon 105/5,6. Now the problem: the new lens illuminates the whole negative, however I am only able to go down to about 18X18cm print size - the enlarger head won't stretch any further (it's already stretched about 20cm). I would like to make prints on 10X15 paper- can you please advise?

Regards,
    D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You're going to need more extension. You may have to fabricate an extension tube or box to get it. I don't know if Kaiser made anything like this.
    Another option wold be a longer focal length lens.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try elevating your easel - put a paper box underneath it.
    Louie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wonder if the enlarger is intended for an 80mm lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I interpret the original post as a lack of bellows draw. Try Monophoto's tip and see if that works, if not, then, indeed it is lack of bellows draw.

In that case, a longer focal length lens will make the situation worse and a wide-coverage lens like the Rodenstock Rodagon-WA 60 mm f/4,0, which covers up to 6x7 should be able to focus OK. (Or even an 80mm as, Nick suggests).

Also, if it is lack of bellows draw, then John's suggestion of an extension is very good.

Try to find or make some kind of cone like this: http://www.ritzcam.com/catalog/images/Omegaconer.jpg

Or like this, but flip it around so it extends outward rather than inward: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=41357

Shooter
    Multi Format
    With my 50, 80 and 105mm Rodagon lenses I can use the normal extension tubes used in macrophotography.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I think what you are saying is you are running out of bellows draw on the 105mm lens?

This is probably a physical limit of the bellows/enlarger

Can you put the 50mm lens back in and see how small you can go with it ?

A 50mm lens needs 50mm of bellows extension to got to 1:1, a 105mm lens needs 105mm to get to 1:1

Martin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you all for the quick replies.
    I have indeed run out of bellows extension. With a 50mm I can go down to 1:1,5 or so, but the corners are not illuminated. Unfortunately things are as bad as I though- either I'd need some extension tubes or I will print in larger sizes.

Cheers,
    D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My theoretical optics knowledge is very rusty, and the design of the enlarger may not permit this, but instead of lowering the lens using extension tubes, can you accomplish the result you are seeking by raising the negative holder (putting something underneath it)?

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Measure the distance from the negative stage to the lens stage. Somebody who remembers can post the exact formula but you need 2x focal length for lifesize. But of course you don't use an enlarger for life size. You'd contact print if you wanted that.

A shorter lens might solve your problem. Measure and that will show if a common 80mm would work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin