Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,545,989   Online: 983

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a early 1980's 150mm El Nikkor I bought new and it has been a great lens, it's the all metal model. The 135mm lenses I used in school did have falloff so I bought my own and used it in school. I still use it today on my Beseler MCRX 45 enlarger.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have been using a rodenstock 135mm Omergaron on my Omega D-2. The lens is about as cheap as they get...Bob (the Rodentock guy here in the US) says it is the bottom of the line Rodenstock enlarger lens...still, it works OK for 8x10 from 4x5. I remember when I was first setting up the enlarger with this lens, I think I had the wrong lens cone...or something. Anyway, there were issues. But now that that's all sorted, seems to work pretty good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As Nicholas Lindan says this is an issue with the enlarger model, I've used 135mm Componons for 30+ years for 5x4 also a 150mm. I've never had any problems with light fall off with condenser or cold cathode heads.

Bethe, 150mm Componon's are really quite cheap second-hand, many pro-labs are even throwing away turrets full of lenses. I picked up a whole bunch of mint Componons destined for landfill 2 or 3 years ago. Most I gave away free here on APUG, at least 3 went to the US, & 1 to France, there's no 150mm unfortunately.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    Here's this week's stupid question. Which lens focal distance is the "right" one for 4x5? I know there will be some variation in the answers, but I'm just looking for the standard one. The enlarger I was given came with a 135mm, but I'm getting a fair amount of light falloff and am wondering if I'd do better to look for a 150mm.
    The old darkroom rats told me always to use an enlarging lens "the next size up" for more even illumination. Of course, since that was in the early 1960s, they were talking about older lenses. Still, that's what I've always done. So, for them, at a minimum I guess we would be talking about a 150.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have 135mm, 150mm and 180mm Rodagons, and mostly use the 180mm since then I don't have to swap condensers if I suddenly decide to print a 5x7" negative.

And 150mm Componar and Comparon lenses too, and a 180mm Voigtländer W.Z. ...

Even illumination is just a matter of bulb placement and condenser selection.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, the lens is an Omicron-EL f5.6 with a serial # 104059 (which seems older, if not old). Testing with an incident meter shows that there's a little less light on the corners. BUT, the contacts for the negs I had issues with show slightly lighter corners, too. I have a hunch it's both working against me.
    I'm sorta working blind with both LF and this enlarger. I've used a Beseler 23CIII for years, but just started moving up in formats. The 45MX was a gift and is older. I did put a new bulb in it (the one listed in the manual) and I've cleaned what I can get to. But I don't know anyone nearby who can check it for me.
    I will keep my eyes open for a 150mm - especially if I can find a Componon-S. But I'll be looking for cheap.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have two 135 mm enlarging lenses. One, and the one that came with my enlarger, is an old Schneider Componon (not S) with a 25 mm mount. The other is a Nikkor. I have no practical problems with light fall off at the edges of the frame with either of these lenses. To be fair, I use a Chromega II lamphouse, which is a diffuse light source, so no concern about adjusting condensers and light bulbs.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Light falloff difference between the 150mm and 135mm Schneider lenses is small: http://www.apug.org/forums/719100-post14.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin