Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,393   Online: 713

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SMG

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Anon Ymous View Post
    Hi, I'm not sure what that "tray" is that you mentioned. Anyway, when focusing, set the lens at the largest aperture. That should give you more light. If it's still not much, remove any contrast filters. In any case, don't leave unexposed paper around.
    The tray that I mentioned is the slide which holds the contrast filters. The first exposure I made, I had the filters in, but thought that they were a safelight, so had the new paper sitting under the light for a while as I figured out focus. I had the lens at the largest aperture, but wanted to double check my focus.

The paper should be good, it is a new box as far as I know. I will do the test though with a fresh sheet right into the developer to see if it goes black. But, as I did 4 or 5 exposures last night there was times when I could see an image for a few seconds before it went black in the developer. Thus I think that the paper is good. Also, the ones where I used a 3 second exposure with the contrast filters in stayed white in the developer. So, like I said, the paper appears to be OK.

I just need to double check the filter number, mount the correct lens, and give more exposure with the filter in place in the light column. Then I think I will be on the way.

No worries folks, I don't give up too easily.
    Sean

SMG

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Just a little update here. I did not give up, though it took a while until I had some time to play in the dark again.

So, the tray which I kept referring to actually does hold a safelight filter. I tried another exposure with it in and, nothing. Plain white paper after development.

I then dug around in the pile of stuff my friend gave me with all this darkroom equipment, and lo and behold there was a set of contrast filters. Whacked a #2 in there, with a good meaty neg, exposed for 12 seconds at f8 with the 50mm lens. Presto, great looking print. Taaadaaa.

Retried the less contrasty negative of my daughter, no go. I guess that there is just not enough contrast to print this negative. Wierd. I will hold onto it for later in case I learn anything new which might help me print it. BTW, I tried that one with a #2 and then a #3 contrast filter and basically could not get it to work.

Made some nice prints, about 3 of them. Pretty happy now that I understand what is going on somewhat. I just need to start reading up on how the contrast filters change exposure and ensure that I follow my steps exactly each time. I am actually thinking of putting a label on the back of each print with the details of how I printed it so I can ensure I know what changes make certain differences in development.

Thanks to all who replied here, I would not have been able to figure this out without your help.

Cheers,
    Sean

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I believe most VC papers are about a grade 2+ used without filter -white light.
    I don't remember grade 3 contrast filter requiring doubling of exposure ..only grades 4 and 5 and maybe the lowest, softest grade ..not sure there, didn't use.

Be sure to keep the filter drawer closed while projecting onto paper. ?

safelight is red. Dark red.

If you can see image on the film you can get a print. I don't think it's too thin.

test strip. Has all the info you need. "used my gralab to expose for 3 seconds" How did determine 3 seconds?

enlarger light off while developing. Paper in package kept safe from light while enlarging.
    safelight can be used in enlarger to see print being developed if don't have another safelight.

SMG

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    sun of sand, I have tried using the paper without a filter and it overexposes in about 3 seconds at f8 and at f16. I am thinking that I need to have the contrast filters in there to get enough time to print the neg. As I have managed to get some decent prints I think I am on the right path here now.

Here is a couple of the prints that I did today.

Cheers,
    Sean
    Last edited by SMG; 01-25-2009 at 07:45 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin