Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,721   Posts: 1,514,949   Online: 1099

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Guys, if you take the Enlarger Lenses out for storage - how do you stop dust getting into the enlarger?

Martin

Images
    Good Evening, Martin,

Assuming that the enlarger is vertically oriented, it shouldn't be much of a problem. Dust may sometimes be in the air, but it eventually does tend to settle downward when a room is unoccupied and there's nothing to keep it stirred up. Unless there's a lot of air circulation, not much dust should go up through the lens board opening. Any concern can also be alleviated by simply fitting a blank lensboard into the enlarger when a lens is removed. I suspect that most dust which enters an enlarger does so when negative carriers and contrast filters are taken in and out.

Konical

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Konical, thanks for the tip

I will hunt down some lens mounting boards and do something about blanking the central holes.

I am "blessed" with cunning and persistent dust that seems determined to get everywhere - no idea how it does it

Regards

Martin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some more thoughts:

The simple act of focusing an enlarger creates a "bellows pump" action which inhales and exhales air (and any dust in the air). I suppose one could collapse the bellows and insert a blank lensboard as a last act before closing down for the night if it makes you sleep better.

Some folks put a cover over the enlarger if it's going to be a while between sessions. I seem to recall seeing a Beseler brand vinyl cover a loooong time ago...

For a blank lensboard, any flat material will do: a piece of matboard, for example.

Most of us don't need Cleanroom Standards for a darkroom. I doubt if a HEPA filter system is needed. My first darkroom back in '49 or '50 was a old coal cellar. Boy, what a job to get it even remotely clean! My current home has forced air heating, but the vents to the darkroom are closed, just because of the dust issue. No carpet pads on the floor...(too much static electricity & fuzz dust). I wear cotton only (less static).

I just now thought of it, but you might run a grounding (earthing?) wire to the enlarger to drain off any static electricity.

Have fun, don't let the dust bunnies bite...

Reinhold

www.classicBWphoto.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin