Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,878   Posts: 1,520,364   Online: 1153

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Where to keep enlarger lenses?

After working in the darkroom I always put the baths back into their storage containers. Can I leave the enlarger lenses in the enlarger or is it better to keep them outside the darkroom if not used. I am in the darkroom almost every day.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the darkrooms dry, not damp they are fine there. My darkroom is in a cellar, so I remove the lenses. The danger is that moisture gets inside & then as you start to use them condenses on the internal elements as a mist/fog, I had this happen in a cold damp darkroom at one time, kuckily I could clean the lenses.

So keep somewhere warmer & drier.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Leaving a lens on the enlarger for a long period of time is liable to accumulate dust on the rear element. I do leave mine on if I know I'll be working for short periods.

My enlarger lenses are either stored in their original box or other protective wrapping and are kept in a cupboard in the darkroom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I always leave them on the enlargers. Indeed, it never ocurred to me that one should store them away
    But then, my darkrooms have always been a spare room at home, i.e. part of the regular living space.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    We keep ours on the enlargers in the university darkroom...and we have to replace them occasionally due to fungus growing in them. I can sometimes clean them up, but when the fungus/mold gets growing between cemented elements, there is not much one can do about it.

I have thought about keeping the lenses separate from the enlargers, but it is not logistically possible (it would cost us more to check them out...just considering the potential "drop rate" between where ever we stored them and the enlargers makes it impractical.) We keep on exhaust fan going to keep the moisture level from building up too high.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ever since I found lenses with fungus growing in them, I store mine outside the darkroom where it is lighted (no fungus), warm, and dry.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I made a "garage" for my lenses like this:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/5...enses-box.html
    After each session, I put their caps on and park them in the "garage" next to the enlarger.

My darkroom and finishing room consistst of my entire insulated and drywall finished basement. I have a dehumidifier down there along with several hydrometers scatterd about so I can keep an eye on the humidity. I never let it get above 55%, which happens mostly in the summer. Been there for 13 years and...so far, so good...

Reinhold

www.classicBWphoto.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinhold View Post
    I made a "garage" for my lenses like this:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/5...enses-box.html
    After each session, I put their caps on and park them in the "garage" next to the enlarger.

My darkroom and finishing room consistst of my entire insulated and drywall finished basement. I have a dehumidifier down there along with several hydrometers scatterd about so I can keep an eye on the humidity. I never let it get above 55%, which happens mostly in the summer. Been there for 13 years and...so far, so good...

Reinhold

www.classicBWphoto.com
    reinhold,

your darkroom looks awesome! i want one like yours! can i come and play at your place?

eddie
    photoshop is somewhere you go to buy photo equipment.

lens photos here

tac

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I keep them in the original plastic container, with little packs of silica gel- with the gel wrapped in a half sheet typing paper, which also acts as a desiccant, and minimizes/eliminates dust from the gel.
    silica gel can usually be re-activated (I think there was a thread on this topic) and dry rice works in a pinch.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have two lenses - the one I finish up using remains in the enlarger with a dust cap, the other is stored in its storage container in the drawer designed to hold my enlarging bits and pieces.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin