Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,546   Posts: 1,572,899   Online: 1001

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow, you guys rock!!! Thanks for all the support!

@toffle: I will investigate the lines on my negs, presumably something I'm doing during processing.. I've got this going on still - maybe there's something with my changing bag that's to blame?? Static buildup possibly? I might look at loading my negs in my temporary darkroom, however I was looking to avoid having to build the darkroom just to process film. Oh well. Might be worth looking at, as my current film also has those mysterious marks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I'm definitely finding this enjoyable, probably more than I thought I would - I'm not wanting to tear the darkroom down now!

Oh, and I found out what happens when you put the paper in the easel upside down :-)

Couple more efforts attached..

Thanks all again...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scan-090122-0001-1.jpg   Scan-090122-0002-1.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I agree with everyone on this, and i gotta say this is so much better than my first print. Like everyone else, I recommend taking better care of those negs, your Efke film will thank you.

and one other thing... now that you have made a print, try cropping out that boy in the bokeh! thats another good skill, effective cropping

David

A Holga is an ugly woman, a Brownie is a delicious treat.

dromanophoto.blogspot.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, cropping is a fine idea!!! and Efke???? Whazzat?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Efke is a Croatian film maker. I'm not sure if it is sold in new zealand, but anyhoo...

Efke film uses classic emulsions and really picky material for the neg base. Rollei uses this stuff for some of their film as well. the bottom line is that those films are really sensitive to scratching, much more than, say, HP5. Basically, treat those negs like they are your child, and all will be fine.
    David

A Holga is an ugly woman, a Brownie is a delicious treat.

dromanophoto.blogspot.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello Chris,

you've done very well! My first print was certainly worse than yours. I've one question though, what film did you use for the second print? I mean the one with the car.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi, thanks! The film with the car was Fuji Neopan SS

Images
    >>>No - not on the emulsion side. It is the shiny side you should use - because it will have the same effect, and you can wash it off if necessary.<<<

Matt,
    Are you kidding? Not on the emulsion side? The teacher at a class I was taking at the time told me the opposite... after I'd smeared the shiny side. Now it's all smudged,even after trying to wipe with a soft cloth and rewashing. But the grease didn't take care of the scratch.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jgcull View Post
    >>>No - not on the emulsion side. It is the shiny side you should use - because it will have the same effect, and you can wash it off if necessary.<<<

Matt,
    Are you kidding? Not on the emulsion side? The teacher at a class I was taking at the time told me the opposite... after I'd smeared the shiny side. Now it's all smudged,even after trying to wipe with a soft cloth and rewashing. But the grease didn't take care of the scratch.
    Not kidding, but there are many more here who have done more of this than me.

Nose oil won't solve a scratch that is on the emulsion side - a scratch like that removes detail.

A scratch on the non-emulsion side may or may not be visible. If it is visible, the nose oil on that side will diffuse the effect.

If the scratch is on the emulsion side, it is in the nature of a gouge - and nose oil on the other side will also have the effect of diffusing it.

You cannot remove oil from the emulsion side without greatly risking the image. From the other side, what it does is diffuse the defect.

Matt

Images
    Matt, I'm afraid that negative is now a smudgy mess, and it's one of my favorites. The scratch is rather deep, I think. I'll have to get back up on the roof of a 3 story bldg downtown, again, to replace it... and not exactly, then. I really do need to start treating my negatives more carefully.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin