Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,905   Posts: 1,555,840   Online: 796

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Thanks for everyone's help, have produced my first print!

Thanks to everyone who helped me when it came to choosing an enlarger, I finally listened and just went and bought an enlarger. Turns out it's not a bad one!! Anyway, it's a Hansa brand (rebadged Bogen?) and has a Hansa brand lens, and to be honest I wasn't expecting much from that lens, to my surprise the first prints I've made (my first prints ever! yay!) have turned out substantially sharper than my previous best effort with a flatbed scanner and Photoshop. Hope you all don't mind but I've attached a scan of my first print that I'm happy with.. I need to do some reading on how to deal with things like scratches on my negs, as you will see there's a bit of a line on the neg. I also see I must have bumped the neg as it's moved slightly and given me a bit of a black border. Oh well.

Thanks again everyone!

Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scan-090121-0001-1.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Morning, it is all ways nice to see that first print, and it just gets better. The scratches... i use a 3 bottle ink called Spot tone.A bit tricky the first time but is gets there in the end.
    You know there is no way out now.

Graham

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh dear, I'm here for life you say ? :-)

Thanks for the suggestion re: scratches

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Noseoil. Put a little of the oil from your skin on the neg where the scratch is et voila! It will be gone on the print. Rub your index finger alongside your nose and cheek. The little bit of oil on your finger is now rubbed (gently) ACROSS the scratch on the neg. Works like a charm.

Rick.

BTW -nice print for your first try!
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ricksplace View Post
    Noseoil. Put a little of the oil from your skin on the neg where the scratch is et voila! It will be gone on the print. Rub your index finger alongside your nose and cheek. The little bit of oil on your finger is now rubbed (gently) ACROSS the scratch on the neg. Works like a charm.

Rick.

BTW -nice print for your first try!
    Yes, it does!
    Great job on your first print! Looks very nice!
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Congratulations! I made my first print about a year ago now. It's magical event. FWIW I still accidentally print part of the neg border, I just toss those before anyone else sees them. Before you know it you'll want to try fiber base paper and shopping for a print washer or figuring out split grade printing followed by wondering what all the fuss about Lith is. The rabbit hole is d-e-e-p. Good job and welcome aboard!

-James

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The rabbit hole.....thats the only thing that is holding me back. Well not the hole so much but paying for it. Wonder how nice of a enlarger I could get if I sell this Epson V700 scanner? But then I need to build the dark room and.....oh I can see the hole pulling me closer already!

Jason

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Jason:
    Enlargers are cheap these days. I got a Lucky 90M for $20 complete with neg carriers, a 50mm El-Nikkor, grain focusers, film hanging clips, a bunch of stuff. The shipping was more than the enlarger. Check craigslist.com and freecycle, you might be able to get a decent enlarger for nothing or close to it. Once I got my feelers out for darkroom stuff people started just giving me stuff, mostly free paper.
    /hijack

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks all!!! I enjoyed the experience of doing the first one so much I left the temporary darkroom up and went in late into last night and managed to screw up everything I touched.. Maybe I should have declared victory and opened a beer instead ? :-) I'm going back in today to see if I can't knock out a few more prints - this is addictive!!! Oh, and thanks for the suggestions re the nose oil, must try that

Cheers

Chris

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hoping to do this soon, too. Yours looks absolutely awesome.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin